12. Freedom

"Open this door, Janson!"
"You really don't want me to."
"Open the damn door!"
"Listen to me! I'm trying to save your life. The maze is one thing, but you kids wouldn't last one day out in the Scorch. If the elements don't kill you, the Cranks will. Thomas! You have to believe me. I only want what's best for you."
I wondered why he was still pretending to help us. Didn't he realise we had figured him out?
"Yeah, let me guess - 'WICKED is good'?"
Now Janson lowered his arms and smiled that terrible smile again.
"You're not getting through that door, Thomas."
At that exact moment the terminal beeped behind me and we whirled around. It glowed green and my heart leapt as the gate began to open.
There they stood, Winston and Aris, and I would have loved to fall around both of their necks.
"Hey, guys," Aris said out of breath and we all rushed towards them at the same time and with it through the gate.
"Come on!" Fry Pan shouted, which was completely unnecessary.
"Thomas, come on! Let's go!" Newt shouted and I turned back to the boy in the corridor.
"Tommy, come on!" I shouted.
Suddenly he started shooting at the men. Janson ducked away and disappeared behind his men.
"Coward!" I shouted, my hands clenched into fists.
Now Thomas's gun seemed to be out of ammunition, because he threw it at the men, whirled around and ran towards us. I saw Janson say something into a bracelet and run after him. The next moment the gate began to close again. We started shouting Thomas's name and cheering him on to run faster. I couldn't help thinking of the night Minho and I had tried to get Alby out of the maze and the others had stood there cheering us on. It seemed like years ago, even though it had happened just a few days ago.
Thomas had been the one to run to us in the maze without thinking about what the consequences might be for him.
This time I was the one who didn't think. I saw him stumble just before he reached the gate, which was now dangerously wide shut. Without hesitation, I dived my upper body under the gate, grabbed Thomas's hand and pulled on it with all my might. I felt Minho grab me by the waist and pull me out from under the gate, which was now getting closer and closer. With combined strength we pulled Thomas out and the next moment it closed for good.
Minho and Newt grabbed us and helped us to our feet before Newt took me in his arms and hugged me tightly.
"Klunk, that was close!" he groaned.
Thomas turned to me and nodded. "Thank you," he said, his eyes wide.
"Don't mention it. You've done something like this for us before, after all." I swallowed.
"Thomas, what's going on?" Teresa cried, sounding as if she was on the verge of tears.
Aris lashed out and smashed the terminal on our side so Janson couldn't open the gate again.
It worked. When he tried to open it, sparks flew from the terminal on our side, but the gate remained closed.
"Come on!" Winston shouted, who had taken a pistol from an unconscious guard whom he and Aris must have knocked out.
Thomas gave the middle finger to Janson, who was now looking through the glass, and we turned and ran, Minho grabbing another backpack that was lying in the corner, apparently filled with weapons, and throwing one at me as well.
"You little shit!", I heard Janson shout, but he couldn't do anything to us.
We just had to make sure we got out of here now before they found another way to us.
"Come on, Thomas, let's go! Come on!" Minho pushed Thomas away from the gate and we ran after the others.
We crossed the huge hall where we had arrived two days ago and I saw men running from everywhere.
"Faster, they're coming!" I shouted and we quickened our steps until we reached the big gate that led outside.
Thomas reached for a lever after a moment's hesitation and it began to open. A breeze came towards us, similar to the one that had always come from the maze just before the walls closed. I held my arm protectively in front of my face and turned to the men once more. Then I followed the others as we ran out into the scorch, not knowing where we were going.
"All right, come on! Keep going!" Thomas shouted as we climbed the large dune behind which the Cranks had appeared when we arrived. This time, however, there was no one to be seen and so we ran on, after looking around once more to the large, brightly lit building from which countless men were now rushing, pursuing us.