sταnford princess αnd τнe reвel

"Now if I sub in all that work into the equation, what's the answer?"

Walking into the kitchen with a physics textbook under her arm, Lorraine pinched her face into a frown. Her youngest sister was getting tutoring help with first-level Algebra from a boy in her same grade and she'd been studying helplessly for the past two hours. Even Lorraine could tell that her baby sister had no drive to want to understand simplistic Algebra and was considered hopeless.

Ruby, Lorraine's baby sister, was moaning into her hands, "I don't know."

"X makes to be seventy-two," avoiding her sisters eyes, Lorraine opened the fridge and reached for the carton of milk saying, "that's all consistent however if I did the long division correctly. Ruby, remember exponents come before division."

Lorraine bit her lip, oblivious to the death stares she was receiving she debated getting a glass for her drink. Popping the carton, she felt her eye twitch before drinking without a glass.

"I'm telling mum!"

"Try me." Turning her back on Ruby and her tutor, Lorraine horribly suppressed a full wattage grin, "It would be a shame for me to tell her you failed your last math test -"

"Y-you can't, you swore!" Ruby gasped pointing accusingly at her sister as she spun from the fridge. "Besides, drinking from the c-carton is far worse! You're a goody-goody and - and you aren't supposed to do that!"

Turning a new leaf, Lorraine mentally chanted, narrowing her eyes at her sister. You don't want that yearbook to come true do you?

"Are you Lorraine," Ruby'e tutor asked with wide eyes. Both sisters looked at him like they were only noticing the poor boy now,  "The same Lorraine that's has her name on all four annual state competition arithmetic plaques?"

Lorraine raised an eyebrow, looking from the geeky, four-eyed tutor to her only sister. She cleared her throat, beginning to feel choked, "Yes, this is she?"

Lorraine Booth. Five feet, seven inches, blond hair and green eyes. Or just the math girl.

Standing up slightly taller, Lorraine tried not to wince. That's all anyone knew her for, being smart with numbers. Even with almost four years of highschool under her belt, of being on the chess team, the art club, yearbook committee and her graduating class' head of treasury; they still only knew her for being the reining champion at the all-state arithmetic convention.

"Lorraine, don't you have some packing to do?" Ruby's eyes were narrowed at her sister. Although she didn't mean to give her older sister the out she wanted, Lorriane happily ran from the kitchen to her bedroom without a glance back.

All thoughts of her mathematic victories, yet failures, clouded her mind as she stepped into her room. Closing the door behind her, Lorraine rested her back against the wood and smiled at her neatly packed suitcase only to frown at her blasted yearbook.

Being in charge of the layout of the highschool yearbook had its perks, one of them being in possession of the first rough copy. She had dreamt of holding her own yearbook in her hands since she was in freshmen year, imagined holding it as playful leverage over her friends who wanted to know what was inside. Now she wished she never had the infernal thing in her possession.

Who would willingly want it when they knew her graduating class crowned her as the 'Golden Girl'? It was the title no one ever wanted, not after six years ago when a trend started of labeling the (sometimes) ugliest, yet brightest (more often than not), female student. The class would vote for the girl who was labeled boring, annoying and a teachers pet. It just so happened she was graced with all three.