chapter one

scene one ━ introduction
fall, sunny but chilly, 07:30AM
y.h.c.

"yoonhui, do you still want namjoon and i to come over after class and help you unload the moving truck?" ayoung links up my arm with hers, a slight bounce in her steps. "wow, it really is so exciting that you get to live in your own place. i'm jealous!"

"i would still love for you guys to come and help me, i think i accidentally packed too much stuff." i smile shyly and hum in response to ayoung's second comment. "i'm surprised my parents even let me. it's hard to believe that i was able to keep my grades up this past semester."

"oh, come on, i see namjoon." ayoung quickened her pace while i struggled to keep up with her longer strides. i, unfortunately, was cursed with a shorter-than-average body. i, yoonhui choi, stand up straight at 150cm (4'11") and it is a daily struggle. ayoung song, however, is a decent 160cm (5'3"). and our third friend, namjoon kim, wins the height battle with an astonishing 180cm (5'9").

we wind our way through various different cliques and approach our friend, who was sitting by himself at one of the many tables, nose in his book. this was very typical of him; he is quite the bookworm. i unlinked my arm from ayoung and we both situated ourselves down at either sides of him.

"good morning!" the bleached-blonde looks up from his book, giving a tired, but warm smile. ayoung returns the smile instantly. "hey, namjoon. we were just talking about our yoonhui's big move-in day."

"oh yeah, we come with you after school to see your new place, right?" namjoon places his bookmark and closes the book. he then placed it carefully in his bookbag. "how many boxes will-"

abruptly, a bunch of girls scramble in through the school's main entrance. everyone's conversation voices hush down to harsh whispers. ayoung also joins in, hurrying over to the side of the room. she looks over at namjoon and i, which we then quickly grab our bags and join her.

what is happening? is this some sort of safety drill? i bite my lip, glancing back to namjoon, who also bore the same uncertain look.

all eyes were watching the front double doors with anticipation, and when he finally walked through, the girls gawked and squealed while the guys seemed to collectively deflate and sigh. all around me, i heard comments like, "he's so handsome," and "i wish we had class together!" even ayoung was staring in awe; she practically had hearts for pupils.

i didn't know much about him; maybe just his name along with random facts that ayoung would tell me. she has had a massive crush on him since a month or two ago. he had shiny, dark brown hair and sparkling eyes that matched. he had quite the tall and lean figure.

suddenly, a ninth grade girl emerges from the crowd and stops directly in front of jungkook jeon. everyone grew silent as she slowly pulls out a pink envelope covered with not-so-discreet hearts. her expression looked rather determined. how brave, to do this in front of so many people...

"please accept my confession." she holds out her letter, staring at the ground below her. the crowd of students gasps and began to slowly whisper again. jungkook's face remains expressionless. and without another thought, he simply steps to the side, and moves past her, and continues on his way to his homeroom.

the ninth grader fell to her knees and stared at where jungkook had stood just moments before. tears quickly glossed over her eyes, and a tear fell. "aw, i feel so bad." i gripped the ends of my uniform jacket as i watch the young student sob in front of the uncomfortably silent crowd. ayoung pats my back slowly. "oh, i have a bad feeling..." 

click, clack, click, clack.

three upperclassmen girls steadily make their way to the rejectee and stop right where jungkook had stood before. they smiled down at her, but the smiles definitely weren't the friendly kind. "i'm sorry, you seem to have a misunderstanding. the top three boys are for everyone."