Ch 5

Meliodas wasn't expecting to actually get any sleep, but after their exertions earlier that night and feeling Elizabeth's own sleepiness through the restored mate bond, he supposed it shouldn't have been a surprise. The demon in him chastised him. What if someone had attacked in the night while their mate was vulnerable? Well, then he would have woken up and there would be nothing left of them, he supposed, putting that train of thought to rest.

Holding Elizabeth closer, he still couldn't believe it was real. Pressed against her as he was, there were zero doubts that they were both very naked. In the night they had shifted so that, waking up, he had discovered their fronts pressed together, his face burrowed into her neck to smell that heavenly smell: that Elizabeth smell, the zing of goddess magic, the fruitiness of pomegranate, and now his own demonic smell burrowed deep into her pores. He had a great view, too, of the place he had bit her over and over again the night prior, now bearing a swirling black tattoo of his demon mark. She was his again. She was unquestionably, finally, his again.

He had shifted the two of them after that so he was lying on his back facing the ceiling and Elizabeth was draped against him. This way he could see if they had any intruders and react accordingly, though the way his mate's breasts pressed against him was not a bad bonus. The turbulence in his mind was back in full swing. His soul was elated, being reunited with his mate. He felt finally whole again. She wasn't just in his life like all the other reincarnations, but their bond was back. But what did that mean for the curse? Was the return of the bond a sign it was finally weakening? Or with the bond restored, would Elizabeth remember her past and then die in three days? Had she already remembered in her sleep? Was this newfound happiness doomed to end horribly in a few days' time?

He'd tried probing through the bond into her mind while she was asleep, but all he'd gotten was her own sleepy contentment. No answers to his questions. Next to him, Elizabeth made a quiet whimpering sound. Eyes shooting over to see what's wrong, Meliodas noted the way her brows were furrowed. No pain though, and her dream state hadn't seemed to change. His anxiety was probably bleeding over through the bond. He sighed, returning his gaze to stare at the ceiling while he forced his hearts to slow with controlled breaths. Things were the way they were, he sighed to himself. If he hadn't wanted this, then he shouldn't have let loose last night. He still could hardly believe he'd gone full demon on his mate. He'd tried to be gentle, but her need had fanned his desire out of control. Demanding her submission like that was out of line, but the way she'd surrendered, oh that was something he'd never forget. And she'd seemed to enjoy it. At least, she certainly hadn't minded, if her reactions were anything to say about it.

There were a lot of unanswered questions, but they were mates again. And he was sure Elizabeth would have questions too as she woke up. Lots of questions, depending on how much she remembered from her previous lives and how much she'd gleaned from his own mind through the bond. He'd have to feel out where she was at when she woke up and just play it carefully from there. Either way, he couldn't let her die due to the curse. Not again. With the bond back in place, he didn't think he'd survive.

No, they had to fix the curse this time. And they'd do it together.