A Stray's Smile

Riley was standing at her locker staring at a picture she always kept with her, a picture of her and Maya when they were about five years old, if she knew then what she knows now she never would have let Maya leave. She would have screamed and cried kicking her legs on the floor in a full on tantrum if it meant Maya would have stayed with her, if it meant Maya would have been safe with her. "How could her mother let that happen?" Riley whispered to herself as she brought her hand up to the picture. She covered Maya's bright, innocent, childish smile with her fingers. "Maya barely smiles, since we've reunited I've only seen her smile, a real smile, twice. Once to me and once to my Uncle Shawn. Other than that her expression either looks sad or lost." Riley sighed and closed her locker.

"Hey. Walk you to the station?"

Riley gave him a smile. "Sure."

He reached out and took the strap of her book bag from her hand.

"Always the gentleman." Riley smiled.

He smiled back, but it quickly faded to a more serious look. "I wanted to talk to you about something before I went through with it. I'm not asking for permission, but I just wanna make sure you'd be okay with it and things wouldn't get weird or awkward."

"Okay with what?" Riley chuckled. "Are you asking me out?" She laughed. "Because we already tried that and it was weird and awkward. I mean I do love you, but only as a friend."

He chuckled. "No no." His laughter died down and he got serious again. "I was wondering if you would be okay with it if I asked out Maya?" He asked.

Riley's footsteps slowed as her heart started to race in her chest. "Maya?" She thought she questioned it in her head, but she could hear her own voice hitting her ear drums. After what Maya told her, what Riley was still trying to wrap her head around, the last thing she wanted was to think about one of her boys, her closest friends asking out Maya, but out of all of them it had to be Lucas. Her first crush, her first boyfriend, her first ex- boyfriend wanted to ask out her best friend. She saw his lips moving, but she couldn't hear the words he was saying because the echo in her head of her question was resonating within every fiber of her being. "My Maya?"

Lucas chuckled. "Yes, that Maya. Didn't you hear anything I said?"

Riley shook her head and took a few deep breaths to clear her mind.

"Are you okay, Riley?" Lucas frowned. "You haven't moved a step yet." He sighed. "Is it too weird to ask out your best friend?" He asked nervously.

Riley blinked a few times and shook her head again trying so hard to get her brain to function again. "No, no no, of course not! It's not too weird if you like her! I was just- I was thinking and I got lost in my thoughts!" She rambled out. "That's all. It's just-"

Lucas furrowed his eyebrows waiting for her to explain her thoughts.

Riley took a deep breath. "You really like her? Or you just think she's cute? B-Because Maya has been through a lot and maybe dating isn't something she should really be thinking about."

Lucas sighed. "Riley, I'm not that kind of guy." He shook his head.

"N-No, I didn't mean- I know you're not, but you don't know Maya! I don't even know Maya anymore! She's- She's not the same person I used to be best friends with, but I still care about her and I'm not saying anything bad about you because you're one of my close friends, but I don't really think Maya wants to date right now."

Lucas took a deep breath. "Well if she doesn't want to then she'll say no, but I was hoping for a little more support when it came to asking her out, like maybe you could tell her a bit about me and let her know that I'm not just some jerk who thinks she's cute, but I guess if that's what you thought than I was asking for too much." He sighed.

"Lucas, I-" Riley sighed. "I didn't think that. It's just- Maya told me something about- about why she ran away and I really don't think she wants to be asked out right now." Riley frowned. "You are a great guy, but Maya-"

"What?" Lucas frowned in concern. "Riley, I care about her too." He said making Riley look up at him in shock. "I know I don't know her yet, but I want to get to know her. I think she is beautiful and I want to know what put that frown on her face and how to get her to smile again. I saw her smile that day when we first met and we all had dinner and I want to see that smile again." Lucas clenched his jaw. "I guess I felt a little jealous that she smiled at you. I saw that smile and I wanted it to be me who she was smiling at.. I may not know anything about her, but I know I want her to smile at me. I've seen a smirk and a cocky grin so far, and she aleays has this sad look on her face like she's lost and all alone, but I really want that soft sweet smile that you got-" He licked his lips.  "-to be directed at me." He looked away from Riley ashamed of his jealous feelings and sighed.

Riley took a deep breath. "Lucas, M- Maya had a fight with her mom about her boyfriend." Riley looked down ashamed of herself for lying. "That's why she ran away, and that's why she thinks her mom doesn't care, because she hates Maya's boyfriend." Riley blew out a breath and finally looked up to see a look of hurt on Lucas' face. She didn't realize he would take it so hard. "L-Lucas? Are you okay?"

Lucas sighed and set Riley's bag down. "I, uh, just remembered- my history book is in my locker and your dad gave us homework. You don't have to wait! I'll run back to get it and you get on the subway!" He rushed off as he finished his obvious fibbing. "Later!"

Riley frowned. "Why did I lie? Why?" She shut her eyes making tears drip.