54

down the rabbit hole

ATHENA STOOD AMONGST THE CROWDS OF DRUNKEN TEENS, HER FACE MARRED WITH A FROWN AS SHE LOOKED FOR HER GIRLFRIEND. The blue and red lights of the cop cars disoriented her tipsy state and she groaned as she pushed her way through the crowd, her eyes glassy and an obvious giveaway of how much she'd had to drink.

"Care? Care, where are you?"

She got no answer, and though she was concerned about how pissed Caroline's mom was going to be at them all, she was in no state of panic about her girlfriend's whereabouts, far too drunk to care about anything but getting into her bed.

She grunts as she runs into somebody, and a head of white hair blurs through her vision. She frowns, twisting around to see the person that had run into her. "Hey, watch it!"

The person stops, turning to face her, and Athena's confusion deepens when she sees their angled features and inhuman eyes that flash gold before dimming into a pale blue. The person's hand comes up, and Athena flinches when it lands on her bare arm.

"Go home with Elena,"

"What? Who– who are you?"

The person shakes their head. "Elena is looking for you. Ride home with her."

Athena begins to argue, but she blinks tiredly and when she opens her eyes again, the stranger is gone. Huffing to herself, she turned around, only to find Elena standing before her with a tired and apologetic look in her eyes.

"Liz found Caroline first, but my parents are here. You want a ride?"

Athena nodded silently, and though it was still on her mind, she said nothing of the person from moments ago. For all she knew, she'd made it up. "Yeah. You can just drop me off at mine."

"Is your dad home?"

"He's in Washington right now. I told him I'd be with Caroline anyways,"

Elena nods, pulling Athena over to her parent's car by her hand. "He won't be mad at us if Liz calls him, will he?"

Athena smiled slightly at Miranda and Grayson, waving at the two as she and Elena piled in the backseat. The adults stayed outside for a moment, talking to the police officers, and Athena turned to look at Elena in the dim backseat of the car as the Gilbert girl put her seatbelt on. "No, he doesn't care. Plus he loves you and Caroline, so,"

Elena laughs slightly, leaning her head against the seat. Her gaze drifts slightly and she looks at the crowd of busted students all standing with varying levels of irritation and fear on their faces. "I wonder who snitched,"