Chapter 20 - Awaken

Adelina's pov:

When our conversation with Chris ended, I went straight to my office as I had a lot of work to do. When I got inside I was surprised to see Mario waiting for me there. He told me that he had been informed about my overnight stay in Maximus' room. Apparently my stay in Maximus' room was spread all over the hospital. It was the news of the day! He suggested that I should go to rest. This is definitely Chris' doing and I'm grateful to him because, although I felt very energetic when I woke up, as the minutes passed fatigue overwhelmed me. I made a mental note to thank Chris for this later. So I followed Mario's advice and headed to the pack's house. When I arrived at my room, I took a quick shower and went straight to bed. I turned off the phone and immediately fell asleep.

Chris' pov:

It's hard for me to believe that nothing happened all night. I was sure that the bond would do its magic and would have some positive effect on Maximus' health. It just doesn't make any sense. The bond is something strong that the Goddess gave us to keep us united and to protect us from other species. Why did it do nothing in Maximus's situation? Maybe Adelina was right after all. The effort was in vain from the beginning. I tried everything. There is nothing I can do about it now. So it would be better to deal with things that I can take care of. I thought as I headed to my office. A lot of  issues were pending since Maximus' attack.

First of all I have to take measures to secure our borders and reorganize the warriors. Then I have to inform the Council about Maximus' situation. They have to make some decisions about the future of our pack, including choosing the new Alpha. Although I do not like the idea of involving the council in the affairs of our pack, I have to reconcile it.

I went into my office and sat in my chair, took a deep breath, one I did not know I was holding and mentally prepared myself to call the Council. It was then that Nathan, one of my warriors guarding Maximus's room, mind linked me.

-"Beta, about half an hour ago, three doctors and two nurses abruptly entered Alpha's room and let no one inside. Not even us. Still they haven't informed us about Alpha's status. I think with all due respect that it would be wise for you to come here."

-"Ok Nathan. I am coming right away. Stick to your position and don't let anyone enter or exit the room. Is that clear?"

-"Crystal clear, Beta".

What the hell is going on now? Why did the doctors invade Maximus' room like that? Has his condition worsened? I really hope it did not. The council has to wait again.

On my way to the hospital, I met Jina in the hallway. She wore a tight blouse with a highly revealing neckline as well as a tight and very short skirt and heels. The annoying smell of her perfume wafted through the air. She stopped me and demanded explanations over why I had forbidden her to enter Maximus' room.

- "Jina it's neither the right time nor the place to have that kind of discussion. If you don't have anything else to tell me you may excuse yourself".

-"How dare you talk to me like that? Who the hell do you think you are? You are just the Beta of this pack and believe me not for long. As Luna of this pack I will take care of it".

-"First, you aren't the Luna of this pack"

-"Yet" she replied full of self-confidence.

-"Nor you'll ever be" I told her and looked at her sternly. "Second I am still the Beta and you are only a pack member the Alpha is f@cking. So do me a favor and shut your mouth and get the hell out of here before I lock you in the dungeons for disobedience. Am I understood?"

She left with her tail on the legs. It served her right. I don't understand why Maximus allows this parasite to have so much power in the pack. She is so ordinary and of lower value. But I've spent enough time with her; I should go and check what's going on in the hospital.

Twenty minutes later, I arrived at the hospital completely fuming. "Why the doctors have taken such initiatives without even informing me?" I reached Maximus' room and invaded without even knocking the door. The medical staff stopped what they were doing and looked at me in surprise. I looked back at them angrily.

-"What the hell is going on here? What are you doing and with what authority did you not allow anyone to enter? I want an explanation now" I demanded in my Beta tone shouting at them.

One of the doctors approached me trying to calm me down while the others continued what they were already doing.

-"Beta please calm down. Nothing illegal or immoral is happening here. Alpha has recovered from the coma and we are doing some tests to understand the reason for his awakening and also to check if everything is ok" the doctor told me reassuringly.

-"Maximus is awake? When? How?" I wondered.

-"About one hour ago the emergency bell rang from his room. We considered that his condition had recurred and we came quickly to check it. But when we entered there was no one in the room except Alpha, who scolded us for being late and then he passed out".

-"Did he sink back into a coma again?" I asked extremely worried.

-"Fortunately, not. He is just sleeping. His body needs rest. I must inform you that the healing rate has increased exponentially. He will be perfectly fine by the end of the day. I have to admit that we have not yet understood the reason for this amazing improvement. "

"I think I know the reason" I told myself. The doctor continued with his statement.

-"We did not change his medicine and nothing unusual happened in between. So we will do some more tests and monitor his condition which seems to stabilize at the moment".

-"Οk, doctor please keep me informed if anything else occurs".

I left the medical staff to do its job and gave specific orders to the guards to not let anyone enter Maximus' room and always do backgrounds check to anyone who wants to enter even if he/she is wearing a medical uniform.

I have to take Adelina back to Maximus' room. If staying with him for one night managed to wake him up from the coma, it is best to stay close to him until he is fully recovered.

I tried to mind link her but she wasn't responding. Then I called her but her cell phone was off. So I decided to send one of my warriors to the pack's house to find her and bring her here as soon as possible. From now on she will always be close to him. I will take care of it whatever the costs.