Chapter 2

I arrived at Billy's gym at 4 PM, just in time for his first session of the day

I arrived at Billy's gym at 4 PM, just in time for his first session of the day. Billy's gym serves a dual purpose: teaching the youth how to box and channel their anger into something productive, as well as helping school leavers join the junior programs of the Fire Department and Defense Force. Having retired from the Defense Force a few years ago, Billy had spent most of his time on deployment in the Democratic Republic of Congo, fighting rebel groups that had terrorized the country for years.

Returning home, Billy found himself stepping foot into another war zone—the Cape Flats. This area had been plagued by violence for generations and was a product of the old apartheid government. During apartheid, non-white people were forcibly relocated to townships in the Cape Flats, or they were pushed into informal settlements elsewhere. Although the communities were no longer legally bound by racial restrictions after the end of apartheid, poverty and social problems persisted, resulting in high unemployment rates and disturbing levels of gang activity. The Cape Flats had become one of the most violent cities in South Africa.

Despite the challenges, Billy believed he could make a difference in the lives of young people, including mine. I often took advantage of his guidance and support without making any promises in return. Billy had used his retirement fund to purchase two neighboring houses, converting the garages and bottom floors into a modest gym. The center of the gym featured a boxing ring, with other equipment positioned against the surrounding walls.

As I entered the gym, I headed towards Billy's office, which was located on the far left side. He was busy putting on his boxing pads when I stepped into the room. Billy was a towering figure, much larger than Griffey, and his appearance defied his age of 52. With a shaven head and only a few grey hairs on the side, he exuded a rugged charm. His chiseled abs and muscular arms gave him a hulk-like presence, and I couldn't help but be drawn to his physique. However, I had to remind myself of the age gap between us. Despite that, Billy always treated me with respect, speaking to me like a grown woman rather than a troubled high school teenager. Perhaps he sensed that I had lost my innocence a long time ago or that I had a rebellious streak. I stood in his doorway for at least five minutes before he looked up at me and smiled.

"You do know I have a door for a reason, right? Some people actually knock before they enter," he joked.

I leaned against the door frame, teasingly responding, "Why? What are you doing behind closed doors?"

He laughed and replied, "Nothing exciting. Are you ready for today's session?"

"Yes, Sir. Please lead the way," I responded, following him towards the sparring mat. I scanned the gym, looking for Sage, and spotted her talking to her brother at the far end. Billy noticed my gaze and informed me, "Sage was here earlier, so we already did a few rounds. It's just you and me now."

I nodded in agreement and started throwing punches, allowing the tension to release with each hit. My frustration with Griffey, always thinking with the wrong head and causing trouble that I had to cover up, fueled my punches. I moved around the mat, jumping from one foot to the other, with Billy matching my pace. I increased the power behind my punches as my agitation grew. The music in the gym became a distant hum as I focused on hitting as hard as I could. Thoughts raced through my mind about who would be coming tomorrow night and what plans Franky had for me.