Chapter 20:- Supportive Brother

Serena's POV

"It's bad to spy on anyone! Don't you know?" I tried to raise my point, knowing that it was futile to say so because I was the one who started eavesdropping the whole court procedure at first.

As soon as the words left my lips, I found Ali trying to have a straight face and Sultan having an expressionless face. As if wondering that I was a hopeless case.

"A ruler would never spy on anyone!" He tried to point out.

"That's what I am trying to say! A ruler (pointing my finger to him) would never try to spy on anyone!" I said.

Suddenly Ali burst out laughing.

"Okay okay, now that you know that brother is serious about making you the ruler, it's time you accept the decision. As scary it sounds, you have got a real opportunity to use the power for the betterment of your people" said Ali.

"But why can't you make Ali, the ruler! I mean he is the best!" I looked at Sultan with a question in my eyes!

"Because I want you to understand how tough it is to be a Sultan! Especially if you want to use your power for the people! I am meant to work hard but you underestimate me! I want you in my shoes so you can understand how tough it is. Unlike my father, I do not want t drown myself into alcohol or riches. I want wish to work hard but I cannot see any respect for me in your eyes!" He explained.

Okay. I agree that I do not respect Sultan. But I am a mere village girl. I will go home after 14 days. So whether I respect him or not doesn't matter. He has released women in the harem and treats prisoners nicely. His point is already proven. Now all he needs to do is to treat me like a guest, ensure that I have food three times a day.

"Listen, why do you care so much whether I respect you or not? I am not your lover or wife. Not even your friend. If I would have been in your place, I would have not cared at all. You have proven your point that you are not a brute. It's over." I tried to knock some sense into him.

"For some reason, he is hellbent in proving himself to you." Chuckled Ali, lighting the atmosphere.

"I am adamant about what I feel. I want you to be the ruler for the next ten days. After that, you can stay here for the remaining four days and then leave for your home!" He crossed his hands and left the room.

"Don't worry sister. I am there to guide you through this whirlwind! As for now, it's noon times so have your lunch and take a nap. Will see what I can do in the evening! I am off to train the soldiers!" He waved off cheerfully!

It was easy for him to ask me to take a nap. But how could I sleep so peacefully? That's when I decided to write a letter to my parents. Maybe they can guide me!