Ava | Chap. 38

I don't know how much time had passed since I was locked up in my room, but it felt like an eternity. Nobody answered my calls over the link and after what I think was an hour at most, I gave up and slumped at the edge of my bed. I had already checked every inch of the room which only confirmed it was pointless to even try to escape; the window was way too high to jump out of and the door way was covered with thorns, not to mention the two elven guards posted there. I was completely isolated from the world with no one to turn to. I event tried to get information from the guards, or at least know what I did wrong, but none of them even moved or seemed to acknowledge my presence.

I don't know how many hours I spent in that room, but finally, I heard movement at the front of my doorway, on the other side of the vines.

"At ease." I heard the voice of King Valor say as a response to the guards and the vines retracted into the wall as I stood up, gazing at the King while he entered.

My Wolf growled when he set foot into  the room, the vines reappearing behind him. His piercing eyes gazed at me with an indescribable look on his face and he began to slowly march around the room.

"Ava..." he spoke softly, gazing down. "Do you really hate us such to give yourself such a hideous name?" I remained silent at his words, confused and utterly terrified. He stopped suddenly and turned towards me. "What do you have to say for yourself, hm?"

I blinked, and opened my mouth, confused. "I-I don't—

- Why did you run away?" His voice became stern and his brows flinched into a frown while he slowly walked up to me, making me feel like a criminal in the middle of an interrogation.

For every step forward, I stepped back until I found myself standing back to the wall of the room, but he just kept going and eventually stood an inch away from my face. My heart raced through my chest and I didn't know what to do nor what he was going to do to me. He brought his hand up to my chest and pulled the wolf necklace from under my blouse, holding it with his fingers.

"Why... why did you betray us, Naviira...?" He gazed at the ruby red jewel, sighing softly. My eyes grew wide, completely helpless and confused. He chuckled. "Did you really think I wouldn't see through your little disguise, even after all these years...?"

I clenched at the wall. "I don't know what you're talking about..."

He scoffed. "Of course you don't. You'll just keep playing that little game won't you...?"

I swallowed the lump that was rising in my throat and I began to shake in fear. My Wolf growled ferociously but I could feel her fear emanate from every part of her body. She was just as scared as I. The King leaned closer to my face, which made me incredibly uncomfortable and I eventually turned my face away, closing my eyes. I didn't open them until I heard him groan and angrily walk away. When I opened my eyes, he had already passed through the doorframe and with a wave if his hand, he raised the thorn barrier once again. I saw him turn to the guards and heard him command them to make sure I never leave my room. I collapsed to the ground and broke in tears as soon as he left, unable to contain myself any longer. I could barely process what just happened  and my mind was scrambled enough as it is.

Naviira... why did he call me that...? He must be mistaking me for someone else... right? Why else would they be so welcoming —at first.

I simply couldn't figure it out. I was too hungry and tired anyways.

-*-

When I woke up, I could hear a strange sound coming from outside. Still disoriented from my less then comfortable sleep, it took me a moment to understand what was happening and recognize the noise to be that of claws raking the wood.