The Start Of It All

It all started in grade school. Barbie was popular, and well, Raquelle wasn't. But Barbie was always so nice about it. She was no braggart and never rubbed it in. Barbie was humble, sometimes too humble. It always got on Raquelle's nerves. If she were popular and smart and beautiful- God, Barbie was beautiful- she would make the most of it. Raquelle would boast about it. Nonetheless, she still hung out with Barbie. Something about her was just so irresistible.

They weren't always friends, they still aren't really friends. They're friendly. Talking when they have to, maybe a little more, working together on group projects- but not by choice of course. They had mutual friends, but that was trivial in elementary school. All that mattered was who had the best snacks, who's parents brought in treats, who had the best toys. As they progressed through the grades, other things became more important: who had the best hair or clothes, who had the most money, who had the best stationery. Of course, it was always Barbie. Raquelle could never seem to beat her at anything. She was always second best, second to Barbie.

Finally, middle school rolled around and the tension was high. Raquelle's family wasn't able to afford new stationery, hell they were barely able to afford their house. They lived in a small house, five rooms total. She had to share a bedroom with her annoying twin Ryan. He was a tall, dark-haired, egotistical teenager. She abhorred sharing a room with him, but she knew why she had to. Barbie's family lived in the nicer part of Wisconsin, with most of the other kids from their school. Her family donated an unfathomable sum of money to their school every year, attracting all the rich kids. Even her boyfriend Ken was drowning in his own wealth.

As the grades sped by, the group of four found themselves in high school, closer than they ever had been. Barbie was still dating Ken, completely infatuated with each other. Raquelle stole glances at Barbie during school, at sleepovers, you name it. Ryan was still obsessed with himself, too busy to get a girlfriend, though many girls had tried to win over his heart. Raquelle's family was thriving financially, thanks to Barbie's family. The Simon's begrudgingly accepted the kind donation and spent it wisely. They rose out of their financial instability and became one of the wealthiest families in Willows, Wisconsin, second only to Barbie's family: the Roberts.

"Hey, Barbie?" Raquelle asked, "Does this dress look okay on me? I wanna look good since it's our first date. I don't wanna make the wrong impression on Mark." She held up a short, purple dress as she turned towards Barbie. As she turned around, she saw Barbie's curvy body in a tight, gold gown. It was a flowy dress, perfect for the Malibu summer nights. Raquelle couldn't help but admire Barbie's gorgeous body, and though she was envious, it didn't spoil the moment.

"Hmmm," Barbie thought. Fashion was one thing she took very seriously. "If you wear that with some silver flats it would look nice, but Raquelle, this isn't Wisconsin. This is Malibu. We have to show these people that were not just some people from the middle of nowhere." Barbie stood deep in thought. She had to make the right impression on these stuck-up Malibu folks. She spun around to the closet behind her and grabbed a green cami dress with ruffles. Her mind was spinning, filling to the top with wonderful outfit ideas. She grabbed a tan-colored purse and a hand-woven beach hat. The perfect outfit.

"Here. Put this on," she handed the outfit to Raquelle who stood in utter shock as she watched her friend throw together an outfit from nothing. It was one of her many feats, one that Raquelle could only dream of.

"Okay, whatever you say," Raquelle responded. She walked to the closet to change and left Barbie alone in her room. The closet door creaked open and she stepped out. "Tada?" she said hesitantly.

Barbie threw her arms up in satisfaction, completely in awe at the alluring girl standing in front of her. "Perfect! It's just perfect! Mark will just love it!" she announced. Barbie felt a pang of guilt, sadness, and of wanting, but for what, she did not know.

"Thanks. You're a great friend Barbie," Raquelle answered. As she said it, she felt something she didn't recognize. A longing for something, but it wasn't for Barbie right? I mean she has Ken and they're the happiest couple I know. And I have Mark. He's so cute, just like Barbie. But I don't like her like that. I can't. Raquelle thought to herself.

Raquelle grabbed her silver flats and a shawl and motioned for Barbie to follow her. Barbie linked her arm with Raquelle's, the pair leaving the room. They were on their way to their double date, and one of the most confusing nights of their life.