All the things she said

"At least I don't have a crush on Makoto Naegi, which is very rare, considering a quarter of our class does", Aoi Asahina babbled in her usual excited attitude to Kiyotaka Ishimaru, who was just trying to get his lunch, despite being distracted by Aoi's chatting for half an hour. "That's good for you, I suppose. But this isn't really the time nor the place to talk about our classmates' feelings toward Naegi-San", the moral compass, who finally managed to get his lunch tray, answered his classmate. "I know you are the Ultimate moral Compass, but come on, gossiping can be fun as long as you don't hurt someone's feelings", Asahina pouted, going towards the table where Makoto Naegi and Sayaka Maizono were already sitting.

"What were you talking about?", Makoto asked his arriving classmates. before Aoi could even answer him, Kiyotaka interrupted her, knowing more than she did: "Asahina-san was just informing me about the latest rumors." "Man, Taka! So, no that wasn't everything! I just told him that I know that a quarter of our class has a crush on you, Makoto! It's Maizono-chan, Ikusaba-chan, Kirigiri-san and Tog-", she began, but covered her mouth immediately as she realised Sayaka's presence, who, alongside Makoto, also blushed very hard. Ishimaru was just shaking his head while eating his lunch.

"Wait- are you sure that Mukuro-chan also has a crush on Makoto?", the idol asked. Aoi wondered, why Maizono asked about Ikusaba. Aoi nodded, which made Sayaka frown. "Is Ikusaba her rival?", Aoi asked herself. "Excuse me", Maizone spoke, before she left in a rush.

"I think you may have embarrassed her", Makoto said, still blushing, scratching the back of his head. "But I appreciate that so many people have a crush on me", he added. "But can we change the topic? How is your relationship with Oogami-san?", Naegi asked. 

Aoi's eyes shot wide open. "Relationship?", she asked, blushing, "We are just best friend!", she insisted. "Yeah sure. I just remember yesterday, when you spent an hour talking about how you admire her body", Makoto told, grinning. "I-I never said that!", the swimmer insisted. "Actually, you did", Ishimaru said, unexpected. "Don't you also join his side!", she scolded him, her face as red as her training jacket. "And I mean, I don't have a crush on Sakura-chan! I don't even like girls!", Aoi lied. 

It was not true at all. Actually, Aoi Asahina was a lesbian, who was, of course, still very deep in the closet. But still, she hadn't have a crush on her best friend, has she? because if it was true, her life would be over, considering Sakura had a boyfriend. It was always the most cruel thing to fall in love with your best friend. It was a feeling of getting eaten alive by your feelings.

"Aoi, are you okay? you have been quiet for long now!", Makoto asked, being scared of his friend's well-being. "No...I mean yes, of course! I have to go training now!", Aoi replied hastily, before sprinting out of the cafeteria. "Don't sprint in the cafeteria!"

Aoi Asahina had never felt as much devastated as in this moment. She had made a life changing realization, after all. She knew that she couldn't hide her feelings for any longer, but she also knew that, if she would make any mistake, she may could lose her dear Sakura. in her confusion, Aoi decided to ask the only one who could help her- a professional. 

"Hey Toko!", Aoi greeted her classmate. "Hmmg...are you here to make fun of me?", the other girl asked in response. "No! I need your help!", Aoi answered. "What is it?", Toko asked, being more grumpy as usual. Aoi thought that her plan would be easy to execute, but this was not easy at all. She gulped, before gathering all her courage. "So, Toko, you write romance novels, so I suppose you can help me. So...if two characters fall in love, what's a romantic, yet subtle but successful way for one to confess?", she asked, her heart beating fast. "Why do you need to know that?", Toko asked. "For a homework!", Aoi lied. "Uhm, fine. So have you heard about the cherry tree myth? You probably haven't, I guess. So, you have to invite your crush to spend time with you under a cherry tree and then try your best to not make a fool out of yourself", Toko answered, almost sounding unsure. Still, Aoi was happy with that answer, as she hugged Toko, who pushed her away immediately.

"The only thing I have to do is to find Sakura-chan!", Aoi thought to herself, before entering the gym, where Sakura usually trained. But Sakura was no where to find in the gym. "Has any of you two seen Sakura-chan", Aoi asked Nekomaru Nidai and Akane Owari, who were also training in the gym. "Ah, yes. She has gone to the bakery. She wanted to grab Doughnuts, i hope she will give me one!", Akane told her.

Now, Aoi was standing at the entrance of the school, waiting for Sakura, who eventually came. "Hi! Sakura-chan! How is life?", she asked, being to focused on later actions to actually make a conversation. "I am well, thank you. these are for you", she spoke gently, as she handed a box of freshly baked Dougnuts to Aoi, who blushed agian. "Sakura, can we go to the cherry tree? Its blossoms are so beautiful!", Aoi asked. "Of course", Sakura replied.

"And another thing. Can I hold your hand?", the smaller girl asked nervously. "Of course", her crush answered again.

As they sat down under the cherry tree, Asahina believed she would pass out any moment. Suddenly, she had a concerning thought. "I have a question, because I never quite understood your relationship with Kenshiro. Is he your boyfriend, or?", she asked in panic. Sakura laughed. "No, he is just my trainer and past crush. But why are you asking? has it something to do with you acting very strange today. Is there anything bothering you?", she asked gently.

Did Sakura know? Even if she did, Aoi had to be brave. It was now or never.

Aoi Asahina took a deep breath.

"So, the thing is...Sakura, you always want me to be strong, and I want that too. And what I am doing now, is the strongest thing I ever did. I-", Aoi couldn't finish the sentence, due to her breaking out into tears. "Take your time and calm down", Sakura encouraged her friend. "so the reason why I asked you about Kenshiro is, that I have come to realise...I have come to realise that i have a huge crush on you...you don't have to accept it, but can we please stay fr-", Asahina couldn't finish. She hugged Sakura tightly, breaking down crying. Sakura was too precious for her.

 "Aoi, snap out of it! Look me in the eyes", Sakura demanded. As Aoi looked at her, Sakura finally answered: "My dear Aoi, I am glad to say that I feel the same way and I would like to be your girlfriend"

Asahina's eyes shone bright as she looked at her new girlfriend. "This isn't a dream, is it?", she asked.

"You don't", Sakura assured.

"One last thing...can I kiss you?"

"You can"

(1198 words)