Chapter 27- Prythian

Fenrys had barely managed to choke out a "How?" or any question, before his mate was ambushed by Aelin, who hugged her fiercely, both women crying joyous tears, "I knew it, I knew you weren't gone."

He scoffed, "No you didn't, liar," she shot him a death glare but Freya just laughed, amongst sobs.

Rowan, Aedion, Lysandra and Ren quickly welcomed her back, their faces beaming with happiness, and when they were done clamouring around, and Fenrys started getting irritated by their presence, Aelin turned to her shadow, eyebrows raised, "I'd quite like an explanation,... but"
she added, as Fenrys snarled under his breath, "I think you need to rest."

The dark haired female nodded gratefully, as Fenrys wrapped his arm around her firmly, leading her away, towards the white walls of the palace.

~

Freya didn't recognise this part of the castle, it was in the western tower. She'd barely been able to climb one set of stairs before Fenrys had swept her up into his arms, ignoring her feeble protests, carrying her all the way up to about midway, entering a large set of stone chambers, simply furnished, as though its owner hadn't cared to decorate or personalise.

She smiled as she spotted his twin swords resting against the wall, the only noticeable feature of the place.

He placed her tenderly upon the bed, it's plain green linen covers simple, but soft.

"You haven't bothered to decorate much, have you ?"

He smiled softly, "I've been away, Aelin's new emissary."
His chest puffed out slightly at the title and she smiled, that soon faded, "I guess I missed a lot, while I was gone."

He said nothing, but she saw the curiosity in his eyes. "I will, tell you everything... but I'm...so tired"
She relaxed slightly into the soft pillows, but grasped him arm tightly, "Stay with me." She implored,
she couldn't bear to be apart from him for a minute longer. Without any hesitation he kicked off his boots and lay down beside her.

She rolled over to face him, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you about the bond I-"
He cut her off abruptly, "You don't have to apologise for anything."

"I've been thinking, all this time, Yrene could undo whatever Maeve did to me," a sob caught in her throat, "To us."

He kissed her again, softly and sweetly, then drawing back, "We will spend the rest of our lives together, whether we're fully mated or not.  I love you, maybe Yrene can, maybe she can't, but it doesn't change the fact that you're my mate, and I'm yours. So you're stuck with me, whether you like it or not."

Her heart clenched so tightly, and she laughed at his words, "Poor me then, and lucky you." she yawned.
He grinned playfully, before a flicker of nerves passed through his eyes, "I know Connall gave you your name...but how would you like it if I gave you another?" She looked at him confused.

"Since you don't have a real surname, what would you say to becoming Freya Moonbeam."

Her eyes widened in shock, and she could barely speak, for the emotion she was overcome with, she could only nod, yes a hundred times yes, as she kissed him deeply.

He wrapped his arms around her as she grew more tired, the exhaustion of what she'd just accomplished taking its toll.

"I take it that's a yes." He whispered softly to her as she began to lose consciousness,
"Yes." She breathed, "I will pride our ridiculous surname forever." He chuckled and she slipped further into sweet oblivion, comforted by the presence of her mate, and future husband.