Part 8: Life Is Unpredictable

A/N: hold onto your butts everyone, this one's gonna kick your ass (hopefully)

***

The closeness of our bodies sends pure electricity pumping through every corner of my body with each rapid beat of my heart. I'm not quite certain of what is happening between us, but I am in no position to think logically about anything, with his beautiful crystalline eyes boring into mine. 

He leans in ever so slightly. He wants to close the gap between our faces; I can tell because of the way his gaze flits to my lips and back up to my eyes, asking silent permission. 

I am too starstruck to say anything but, "Loki." 

His name has a different taste on my tongue. Before, I was indifferent to the man standing in front of me, thinking of him as arrogant and annoying and much too full of himself. I could never have imagined wanting to kiss him, as I am desiring right now. 

I must be out of my fucking mind. Wanting to kiss Loki?? The man who terrorized New York, has no sense of morality, and the tendency to betray those who trust him?

But I'll be damned if he doesn't look gorgeous in a suit and has a charming personality.

Before I can even begin to sort out my mixed emotions, I hear someone behind Loki and me clear their throat loudly. Loki, looking somewhat annoyed, pulls me to his side and turns us around to meet Bucky and Sam face-to-face.

They do not look amused.

"You cheated," Sam deadpans. His arms are crossed over his chest, while Bucky, with his long hair tied up, stands rigidly beside him.

"We did nothing of the sort," Loki counters. 

Bucky sets his jaw and squints at us. Immediately my face feels hot because I know what Bucky's doing. He's reading my face and body language like a regular Sherlock Holmes. 

"What did you do to y/n?" Bucky asks harshly. 

"Bucky, stop," I say.

"What, did you trick them? Put them under a spell?"

"I told you," Loki says between grit teeth, "I did nothing. We won fairly." 

Sam is not convinced. He casts an unreadable look at his partner and it comes to my attention that for once, both of them are on the same page. 

"Listen," Loki tells them, trying to keep his voice even. "We do not have time for this. We need to leave this party before Vein figures out where the flash drive went."

That seems to resonate with them. "Didn't look like you were in any hurry before," Bucky mumbles.

Loki steps toward him, but I hold my partner back. "Don't," I whisper. 

"Come on," Sam decides with a sigh and a shake of his head. "Let's regroup with the others and get the hell out of here before things go to shit."

***

"Well, I have to give you guys credit," Tony says after taking a dramatically long sip of his champagne. "I was really not expecting this."

"Glad you had so much faith in us," I murmur. Loki smiles. 

"Also I heard through a little bird that Reindeer Games was trying to hook up with you." Tony eyes me carefully through his glasses. "Is this true?"

"What the hell bird told you that?"

"One named the Falcon," Bucky smirked. He and Steve fist bump each other. 

"Whatever it is, it's not true," I claim. "We were just acting like a couple."