Chapter 10: Everything's Coming Up Jiho

The Next Day
Lunch Time

Despite the brief respite brought about by Vasco's unexpected intervention, Jiho didn't really expect anything to change. And for the most part, he was right. The next morning, the day had proceeded as usual:

First period: fanning Zach and the gang to make up for the broken AC in homeroom.

Second period: turn in requested english homework to Doo.

Third period: Disappoint Mr.Joon by handing in a less desirable version.

Fourth period: Lunch!!

Lunch was always the easiest part of the day. Jiho imagined that hour to be what a job might be like if his parents allowed him to get one. He could pretend he was a waiter at some fancy restaurant, maybe one that he would own himself one day. Yeah, that was it; someday he'd work his way up and be the boss somewhere, anywhere but here in this soul-crushing cesspool. And he could forget about being a slave to those stupid gorillas.

God, sometimes he just wanted to ambush one of them in an alley way. Sometimes, he wanted to jump on their back and wrap his backpack strap around their neck, nice and tight. And then tighter, then tighter, then their face would turn pink, then purple, then blue, then tighter, tighter-
What was everyone looking at?

...Oh, right. The new guy. Who else?

Jiho had to admit, the kid had an impressive presence. There was just something about him that drew the eye of everyone in the room, you know? He was a natural celebrity, someone who seemed to have a red carpet rolled out for him everywhere he went.

Jiho's feelings were mixed. He was definitely as jealous of the new prince as everyone else was, but he knew he had to be one of the only ones in the lunchroom who was feeling more fear than anything else. Sure, Daniel didn't look threatening at first, but the worst ones never did. Park would show his true colors soon, and Jiho's world would become just that much darker.

The human punching bag sighed heavily and was about to move to his seat at the far corner of the lunchroom when he accidentally locked eyes with his new greatest fear.

'Oh nononono, not yet! Come on, just gimme one day to mentally prepare at least...'

Jiho stood stock still in a puddle of sweat, waiting to see what malicious shenanigans this Daniel Park had planned for him... but no amount of mental preparation could have prepared him for what the prince did next:

He smiled and waved.

'...what.'

Oh, this was gonna be the worst. Smiles from guys like that were anything but friendly. Jiho gulped when he was motioned over, complying slowly on shaking legs.

'Here we go again, I guess. What am I gonna tell mom thid time?'

"Hey! Jiho, right? We're in the same class!"

The shorter boy stiffened at the question's tone, unsure how he was supposed to answer. In the end, he just ended up nodding dumbly.

"You wanna eat together?" Daniel asked with a blindingly bright smile that quickly turned sheepish. "I'm still new, so I... kinda need some friends..." Daniel trailed off.