Chapter 16: Follow-Ups and Advice

I stood in the field for a good ten minutes, watching the parking lot empty as students made their way home. The sun warmed my back, and I took a seat, the grass tickling the part of my legs not covered by a skirt.

I pulled out my phone with every intention of calling my uncle, but something stopped me. Nick had shifted. That was the mission I was assigned. If I left now, I wouldn't be able to make sure he was okay or catch the person or persons behind the attacks. I could tell my uncle at The Gathering.

Rather than put away my phone, I called Kiri. "What happened?" Her voice hissed. "The last time we talked, you expected Nick to turn. Is everything okay?"

"He's fine. He started shifting in the middle of school, but I got him out in time, and I think I made a new ally."

"Did you get away before he shifted?"

"I left him in a safe spot. I hope Anya made it in time to find him. I wasn't reckless if that's what you're thinking."

"I wasn't thinking that. You're always reckless."

"That's why you love me." I chuckled, curling my knees to my chest.

This is what I wanted. I wanted to help a kid, make friends with a good human, call my girlfriend after a mission, and enjoy it. I could do it. I needed this mission to teach me that. Uncle was right.

"Are you still down for talking to the witness tomorrow?"

"About that..." I paused, scratching the back of my neck even though Kiri couldn't see.

"You're not going back on our deal. You promised to include me. Let me help. I won't let you take that back."

"I'm not going to." I hurried to fill in the blank, the screech in her voice a warning. "I was going to tell you I can get the report online. I was going to ask you on a work date. We could get something to eat in town, a normal one."

"And talk about murder?"

"It's a good topic, isn't it?"

"Let's keep our voices down at dinner, maybe leave work for after we eat?"

"It sounds perfect. I have to check on the kid so I'm going to let you go, but meet tomorrow at four-thirty at the main square."

"I'll be there." Kiri hung up the phone. Everything seemed to be going smoothly. Now I had to make sure Nick was doing okay.

I knew calling them wouldn't work and going into the woods was too dangerous, so I began the trek back to my dorm where I would quarantine myself, watching for their return. It could take all night, it probably would.

I didn't have anything else to do, so I packed a small bag of things I would need for the manor. I could catch a ride with Alpha Daniel, and with the witness testimony online, I had a free day tomorrow. I could join Nick and Anya after school and spend the evening relaxing.

It wasn't until the early hours of the day that Nick finally texted me, waking me up to tell me he was back in the dorm and safe. Knowing it was a bad idea, I snuck out of my room and made my way to his.

"So, how did it feel?" I closed the door behind me, careful to keep my voice soft. "Was it wonderful?"

Nick was sitting on his bed, eyes trained on the full moon. His face was lit by the dim rays, the rest of his body covered in shadow to create a dreamy picture.

"I didn't know it would be like that. It was scary at first, the wolf in control, but it shared control with me after a while. It still does." He turned his head to me, revealing a thin trail of dried tears on his cheeks. "I was human before, but I know I'm not now. You must know what that's like, being a witch, I mean."