Chapter One ~ The Mirrored Pond

It was a pleasant sunny day; the sun shone brightly, the birds sang, and the wind caressed your skin and made your hair dance. You wore a lovely sun hat and a flowing white summer dress that reached your knees. Straps were thin but were tied around your shoulders in bows. You were dressed in brown flats and lace-up ankle socks. Your mother and father had rented a charming little cottage on the outskirts of town for the summer, and you were overjoyed at the idea of spending the entire summer in nature, alone and unbothered.

“Is it alright if I take Romeo for a walk in the woods?” you inquire as you enter the small kitchen room where your mother was washing dishes, possibly preparing clean dishes for breakfast, given the early hour. “I believe it will be helpful for him to familiarize himself with his surroundings.”

Your mother's back was to you as the light from the window in front of her shone through. "Yes, dear, just make sure you return in time for breakfast," your mother responds as she scrubs a pan. " Oh , please locate your father; I believe he is outside painting yet again... Inform him that I need his extra help in starting a fire on the stovetop.”

You responded with a hum as you exited the kitchen and entered the cozy living room. You snatched Romeo from his cage and pleaded with him to follow you. You made your way to the far end of the living room, where a large window was located. There was an old, dusty bookshelf filled with old books there. You skimmed through them and came to one that stood out from the others. It appeared more worn and dusty, as if it had not been opened or read in years. You snatched up the book and blew away the dust.

You then proceeded to the wooden front door and opened it, allowing Romeo to exit first. He pranced excitedly outside, and you followed suit, giggling at his antics. You discovered your father outside, perched on a stool, surrounded by his painting supplies. His view was of the massive mountains ahead of him, which were tinted blue by the distance. There was still snow on the peaks of the mountains, indicating that the temperature up there must be extremely cold even in the summer.

"Hey, dad," You approached your father, who was also facing away from you. He responded with a hum as he continued painting.

“Mom requires your help once more in the kitchen,” you explain as you pick up Romeo, who was pawing at your legs.

“Once more?” He now turns around and shakes his head, "I swear, that woman... Okay, I'm going to go up now.” He begins neatly wrapping his supplies and stands. He stretches his back, probably from sitting for so long, and asks, "Where are you going?"

“I'm taking little Romeo for a walk in the woods,” you reply, your gaze fixed on Romeo.

“Did you inform your mother?”

“Certainly.”

“How did the boss respond?”

“She gave me the free pass, Dad,” you joked.

Your father chuckles and makes his way into the small cottage. You laid Romeo down and began walking toward the woods. There was a small cleared path, which was quite pleasant. This area appears to have been frequently used for nature hikes.
You followed Romeo as he paused periodically to sniff the ground and plants in his proximity. You were reading the first few pages of the book;

A long-forgotten story about a magical world hidden between the limbo. It has been prophesied repeatedly throughout history, for as long as mankind has existed. A world brimming with never-before-seen hues, strange creatures, strange magic, and strange people with long ears. Individuals who possessed the ability to exert control over various elements in their environment. Individuals endowed with exceptional abilities.

They used to live among us, but as mankind progressed, they became envious of those with magical abilities. They were labeled as evil; devil's offspring for practicing witchcraft. These exceptional human beings lived longer lives than humans and men were envious of their extended lifespans. Humanity began slaughtering these immortal "creatures" one by one... and they soon found themselves with no choice but to quietly vanish from the face of the earth…

You thought to yourself, "Interesting," because you enjoyed a good fairytale story.

You raised your eyes from your book and noticed that you and Romeo had strayed from the path... or had the path vanished entirely? You turned around and discovered that there was indeed no path. You were surrounded entirely by trees. You became aware of Romeo in the distance and increased your pace in order to catch up with the small dog. He was staring down at a small pond.

The water was a brilliant blue hue and extremely still. You noticed the pond was empty and you couldn't see the bottom. It was an odd sight... Additionally, you noticed the strange stone hedges that appeared to be encrusted with gems.

You knelt and set your book down. Romeo excitedly jumped into the water, and to your surprise, he never returned. You immediately leapt to your feet. What is it? Romeo has taken a dive into the water! It could not possibly be that deep! You stepped into the water instinctively and were immediately dragged down as if you weighed tons. The water was dark, cold, and devoid of life. In the water, you forced your eyes open and saw nothing... only darkness. The only source of illumination was the pond's surface. You attempted to swim back up but were dragged down by gravity. Time was ticking away. You couldn't possibly hold your breath any longer... You quickly succumbed to excruciating suffocation. As you were dragged deeper and deeper, water filled your lungs... There was no light, and your body was rendered incapable of fighting.

In the dark. That is all that was and will ever be.