1. An Old Acquaintance

Location : Byeol Photo Studio, Gangnam district, Seoul
Date : July 19
Time : 11:30 am

Click. Click. Click.

The camera clicked thrice before the dark eyes peering into the viewfinder of the camera locked onto the model's face, gleaming with satisfaction.

"There you go... Beautiful."

His words complacent and his expression content, he — a man thriving in his late forties — turned the camera in his hand; his mind perched on capturing a beautiful portrait of the ethereal model in front of him, his index finger itching to click that one perfect final shot.

"Okay, last shot. Let's try to make it magical."

As soon as those words left the photographer's mouth, the model who stood in front of the camera changed his pose; his right hand on his hip and the other on his chest, resting elegantly under the cream-coloured collar of his shirt. His face now showed composure — his lips relaxed, his cheeks smooth and the frizzy strands of his brown hair covering a part of his serene coffee eyes, not too much, just the right amount.

The lights flashed and the camera clicked.

"And, that's a wrap," the middle-aged man who sat in front of the computer screen beside the photographer chuckled gleefully, because for the first time in his life he felt like he had the easiest job in the world.

The photographer, without no hesitation as any, quickly made his way to the model who stood dazed in front of the pastel grey backdrop, to offer the latter a hearty handshake which left the younger even more dazed.

"I see a bright future for you, Mr. Kim. You're a natural!" The sheer enthusiasm blaring through the man's words made the young man's heart thump, his coffee eyes shone with a starry glint.

Sure enough, words like these from one of the best fashion photographers of South Korea was a remarkable achievement for somebody who had started modelling barely an year ago, and as for the young male, he felt as if he was on cloud nine.

The model quickly reciprocated the smile on the photographer's face, a much wider version of it. Words refused to pour out of his tinted lips, but a quick 'thank you sir' covered it up for the time being; a breath of relief and joy falling from his lungs unknowingly.

"Mr. Kim, you can give these shots a quick review if you want," another familiar voice called out, the art director of the shoot; his face — illuminated by the screen in front of him — adorned with an approving smile.

The model nodded and along with the photographer approached the screen together, where dozens of photographs were being displayed one by one, each one better than its previous counterpart. They analysed the shots; the photographer seemed very content, and so did the director but the model, not so much.

"They're really good sir. But I think I could go again—"

The young man's words were abruptly cut off by the director as he placed a firm hand on the former's shoulder, smiling reassuringly.

"No need Mr. Kim. I got exactly what I wanted. Your next shoot starts in twenty minutes, am I right?"

"Yes sir."

"Then go on, don't give your manager an anxiety attack again," the director tapped lightly on the model's forearm, leaving a unique box-like smile on the younger's face.

"Sure sir," the model said as he bowed to both the director and the photographer, before striding to the fitting room hastily. His next shoot would start in less than half an hour and he was nowhere nearby the studio where that was happening.