Chapter 12.2

"What? I have no idea what you're talking about."

Carmen snorted animatedly. "Are you actually going to stand there and pretend you didn't spike my drink with vodka?"

"Are you serious? You haven't been up to order a drink for half an hour!" I could feel my patience disintegrating. It was only temporarily alleviated by the appearance of Bev, hard-faced and aggravated.

"What's going on out here?"

"Bev, thank god-"

Carmen cut across me. "I'll tell you what's going on here-"

"Don't raise your voice to me, young lady."

"I, uh-" Carmen stammered, caught off guard by Bev's bluntness. Then, suddenly remembering her anger, she thrust a finger at me. "She put vodka in my drink without me seeing."

"When, exactly, did I do this?" I asked, rolling my eyes.

"Well it must have been when you were doing our drinks. When I wasn't looking."

"Oh, please, this is ridiculous!" I spat. I could feel my cheeks reddening as I glanced from Carmen to Bev. "Why on earth would I secretly feed you alcohol? It would only make you more annoying and unbearable than you are when you're sober!"

"I don't know, perhaps you just wanted to make me ill!"

We went on like this for a while, screeching remarks at each other so that Jet, Wes and Holly batted their heads back and forth like members of a tennis match audience. I was completely oblivious to the riot we were causing, the glares that we were attracting from the rest of the room.

"Enough!" Bev roared, raising a hand in declaration.

We both silenced immediately. Carmen's mouth was open, her sharp tongue poised to strike again, and my arms were held aloof in nonsensical protest.

"I think it's quite clear that Saffy had no hidden agenda in terms of trying to get you drunk," Bev said, her rage directed at Carmen. "And, if I remember correctly, you made yourself quite unwelcome here last week, did you not?"

"So you think the vodka just randomly sneaked into my drink when I wasn't looking?"

"I think you ordered your drink with Saffy, took it back to your table, and then you smuggled a bottle of vodka out of your bag and poured it into the coke yourself in an attempt to sabotage my staff member. Does that sound familiar to you?"

At that, Carmen faltered. "Th-that's the stupidest thing I ever heard," she stuttered. "Do you know how old I am?"

"Oh, I don't know. Twelve?"

Carmen's cheeks bunched up like an enraged hamster. "I'm seventeen, a whole year under the legal drinking age. You wait till my mother and father hear about this!"

Bev sighed. "I wonder how many times you've ever said those words."

"You think I'm joking, but I'm not," Carmen said, and her face lit up in a demented, furious smile. "You watch, I'll get her fired!"

When I realized that the 'her' she was talking about was me, I stood to attention. I wanted to scoff at her, to dismiss her threats as empty, but if there was one thing I'd learnt about Carmen recently it was that she was capable of sticking to her convictions. What did she have against me? Why was she trying to make my life such a misery?

"I think you'll find it's up to me who I fire, thank you very much," said Bev. "This is my establishment. Now, I think you should leave."

"Come on, Carmen," Wayne said, appearing at her shoulder. "Let's just get out of here. It's not worth it." Holly gave a tiny, nervous nod of agreement.