Crash and Burn

Arizona's POV 

Callie, Y/n, and I rush down to the main surgical hallway where Dr. Bailey is standing on the stairs. This was going to be a big one. 

She waves Y/n over to her and whispers what is going on in her ear. Her eyes go wide and then she composes herself. She then whispers something back into Bailey's ear and she nods in agreement. 

"Alright everyone, there has been a plane landing into the bay. Emergency engine failure and that is where they landed. The plane was carrying mostly children and chaperones from a conference on their way home to Seattle. Luckily, most of the injuries are minor and some are severe. This is going to be a long day for everyone, I will split you up into teams of three. General surgeon, ortho surgeon, and a pediatric surgeon are preferred, but I will do so as I see fit." Y/n says. 

I heard the word plane crash and I froze for a second and then I found hands squeezing mine. I had Meredith on one side and Alex on the other. We got this as long as we are together.

"Alright, Lincoln, Alexander Karev, and Grey, you are working as a team. Kepner, Wilson, Kim, you are a team. Y/n Karev, Robbins, Torres, we are a team. Hunt, Pierce, and Herman, you are a team." She says and gives a reassuring nod to Herman.

"Neurosurgeons and plastic surgeons, you will be used as needed. Dr. Bailey and Dr. Webber will be triage along with Dr. Deluca. Dr. Deluca, come see me before you go." She says. "This is going to be difficult for everyone and more for others, keep an eye on each other and take breaks when needed." She finishes. 

"Before the chaos starts, please bring it in for a huddle." She says and I smile as I make my way over to her. Alex and Mer are on one side of her and I am on the other side of her. "Alright everyone, it's a beautiful day to save lives." She says with a smile. "Family on three. 1...2...3..." She says. "FAMILY!!" Everyone erupts in elated cheers.

Everyone disperses and Y/n and Andrew are talking quickly as we make our way over to the pit.  

"I will email you the list of places that we will call when the craziness is over. Thanks, Andrew." She says to him. "You got it, Dr. Karev. I'm sorry. Y/n." He quickly corrects himself. He walks away to leave us to go to the pit for our first patient. 

Y/n sends some messages on her phone before putting it in her pocket. I wonder what she is up to.

We make it to the pit and chaos has already started. We gown up and go to our first patient. "Henry Thornton, 10 years old, left leg injury, possible head injury with sluggish pupil response, abdomen is rigid. Gave IV fluids in the field wide open." Nicole the paramedic explains. "Move on my count. 1...2...3..." Y/n says and we move him over to the bed.

"Amelia, we need you in here!" I yell to her. "I am here, what do we have?" Amelia asks. "Henry, possible head injury, pupils are sluggish." Y/n says. 

"Alright, I suspect some sort of injury to the brain. Let's get him to CT, fast and then to the OR." Amelia states.

We unlock the gurney and we move fast. We get him into the CT machine and wait for the results.

As suspected, he has a major injury and we needed to get him to the OR yesterday. This boy was in a bad way.

We all get into the OR and scrub in. Y/n says her usual ritual and we are on our way.

The way the surgery has to work is Amelia has to finish her part first because of how sensitive it is and Callie can do hers along with it. The general surgery in the stomach has to be done after Amelia's, and it is risky, but it is how it needs to be done. 

Y/n and I go and find other patients to attend to in the meantime, before we are called back. 

Amelia is finished with her part 6 hours later, so her and Callie are not needed anymore. They go find others to help and it is just Y/n and I left to do the surgery in the abdomen.