Our Meadow

Ever since I returned to Telmar after the voyage, people were curious to know my side of the story. I was asked to ignore the criticisms of some radicals but I couldn't help but do what I was asked not to do.

Rumira and I spent a lot of time together getting to know each other. It was very easy to talk to her and it felt like I had known her all my life. She reminded me of Melody but I knew that was only because of what Caspian had said.

Nina was happy to see Rumira and I walk into the kitchen and take the desserts that were prepared for lunch. Nina was going to protest but Rumira executed her part of the plan perfectly. "Mother, I think you have forgotten to add salt in this." She took a quick taste of the sauce in the pan and created the distraction that we needed while I took the tray away.

It was really nice to have a friend my age again, but it did in a way make me miss them. Rumira was a really cool person. She was patient in teaching me how to braid. She was a great painter herself and she worked with Claire sometimes.

That day, I took Cassie out of her stall and we walked down to a place that Caspian and I had claimed for ourselves - a meadow. It was an open field that spread for acres and I took Cassie out for a run there.

 It was an open field that spread for acres and I took Cassie out for a run there

I lay down in the soft grass where I counted my blessings. Cassie jumped on top of me and then eventually lay beside me. We looked at the peaceful clouds and I was recognising the patterns that were forming. "That looks like Thomas, doesn't it?" Cassie let out a soft bark. "I know, buddy. I know. Things really are changing this time. I'm getting....married. It seems strange doesn't it?"

It was such a huge commitment which I was doubting that I was ready for. The Professor and Trumpkin were confident that I would be a wise ruler and that the lessons that I had been learning from them, though different from the ones that they would have taught a potential ruler, was more than enough for me to protect everyone.

The meadow was the one place where Caspian and I sneaked to meet each other because the Professor had advised us to close down the doors to the towers. With such a direct connection to the north tower, we knew that it was better if we locked the towers and not direct attention to the fact that we had a new spot.

It was great to be back home.

I thought about what Caspian had wanted me to think about. I couldn't really think about one person that I would wholeheartedly trust with my life. I didn't think that there would be any volunteers for the job either.

Personal guard to the girl from the Other World? Sounds preposterous.

But I wasn't only the girl from the Other World, was I? My time in Narnia had proved that I needed to stop doubting my abilities and stop thinking low of myself. But that was who I was.

I stood up and trailed my hand against the grass

I stood up and trailed my hand against the grass. I felt peaceful. That was what life was supposed to be - peaceful. I didn't think about all the social interactions and gatherings that I would have to eventually take part in.

I thought about how it took me so long to find myself but once I did that, my life changed completely. When I got used to the fact that I could start afresh and lead a new life in Narnia, my feelings betrayed me and I realised that I was in fact having feelings for the King of Narnia. When Caspian revealed his feelings for me, that changed a part of me, one that I had promised to never do ever again - hurt myself to protect others.

The hurting process was what I had promised about. I would protect the ones that I cared about no matter what.

And once that happened and I agreed to myself that I had feelings for him as well after ignoring that part of me, I got to know that I was the child of the original Rulers of Narnia - King Frank and Queen Helen.

Way to go, fate! Great way of dropping bombs on my emotional health.

The next few years were hard. The White Witch of Narnia returned and created havoc. I had to leave Narnia in order to protect Caspian from the same fate. I made friends with the Older Rulers in the house of their cousins. I returned to Narnia with them and dealt with yet another Witch, who was also involved in the murder of my parents and the genocide of Narnians. Caspian proposed to me and the Pevensies, Eustace and Reepicheep had to leave.

My life had never been more exciting or emotional.

And it was totally worth it.

If anyone had told me during any English class that I would get to live a fantasy, I would have laughed right in their face. It seemed too improbable for it to come true. If I had been given a choice right then where they would have told me the ending of my story and asked me if I would want to continue, I would say yes without hesitating.

Because even though my life had been difficult to think about, I was grateful for having met everyone that I loved more than myself. I got to meet Caspian and I was privileged to have his love.

I wouldn't choose myself over them in any world.

But the next chapter of my life had begun. I was in Narnia and I had to start creating moments that I would take with me my entire life. I had to leave the Other World behind in a way that I didn't have to before.

I was going to get married.

I was only twenty-one years old.

The years after I returned, I had spent my time with the ones that I cared about - Caspian, Trumpkin, the Professor, Nina, Mark, Oliver, Evelyn, Rumira, Cassie, Thomas, Mr. Henry, Glenstorm, Thunderride Lilliandil, Coriakin and so on. I was grateful for having all of them in my life.

That made me think about something.

Caspian wanted me to have ladies-in-waiting for the sake of it. I was making friends slowly and I thought about what it would be if I was able to get them an official position. They wouldn't have to worry about spending time with me and I wouldn't have to worry about what people would think.

"Cassie? I think it is time that we head back."

It was time to make a pros/cons list about the possibility of asking my friends to be my ladies-in-waiting.