Butterfly (Part 12)

"I'm ... uh I'm sorry, Justin. I got too emotional." Adam sweeps his eyes with the hoodie collar, finally gets himself off from Justin, seated the man back to the floor, even put his crossed-leg position back.

But Justin still draping his hand there, too scared to loosen it.

Everything is pitch black. No sun, no light, and somehow no sound.

The pebble rain has stopped short, and they can't observe what the survivors below there doing. But everything is quiet as if the city were empty.

Nor Adam or Justin can even see their own hands. Draping his hand around that long neck is their way to make sure both of them are still there.

"Please forgive me, Adam ..."

"Huh? From what? Did you eat my goober?" Adam gropes his way to brush Justin's hair.

"For everything ... and maybe that too ... I've done so much wrong to you ..." he gulps, "and I deeply regret it. I'm sorry to apologize eight years late ..."

Adam sighs, even in a total black, Justin can feel Adam's warm smile toward him.

"Well ... It's fine, at least now you understand, even if it's the first time and also the last time you realize it."

Justin let a hollow laugh escape. Maybe he's not 100% horrible friend, only 96%.

"But hey, actually I never ever feel you have done something wrong for me. But yeah I guess this is the right time to forgive each other. So ... uh ... can you forgive me too Justin?"

"No Adam, you don't understand. I never deserve to be anything in your life, I—"

A finger lifts Justin's jaw close, stopping his phrase.

"If you don't deserve it, I won't let myself live with you or sleep on the top bunk bed for the past eight years. I always hate the top bunk bed. I can only sleep on the bottom when you're not home.

If you don't deserve it, I've searched for another friend from million people on this world, but no. No one wants to be my friend, and I also don't want to search for another.

As I've said, I'm so grateful to God that he gave a person like you for me. Finding you is a life-changing experience for me, nothing to regret."

Adam still hold his finger there, signifying that Justin does not allowed to argue and he hasn't close the speech yet.

"Never ever think or say any stuff like that again. You're one of the most important people I love dearly, Justin," Adam finally releases the finger, "Now let's change the mood, and also ... about that . . . could you forgive me too?"

"I will never understand what's going on in your head Adam..." He chortles from the ineffable behavior that Adam has.

How could a man be that kind and innocent? 

"Well . . . I'm not gonna lie, that feels a bit cringe even though I really have the guilt. But yeah, for today, of course, I forgive you for the zero faults you have done to me. And thank you for making me one of your important people. You also have that place in mine, Adam. I fond you dearly as the one family I have."

"Oh look," Adam crosses his arm, "now who's the cringe one?"

"Still you."

They're both bursting out sonorous laughs both mirthful and brittle. Because nothing is funnier than the life itself.