𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚛 : 𝚜𝚝𝚛𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎 𝚠𝚘𝚖𝚊𝚗 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚋𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚔 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝

"GET YOURSELF A DECENT HAIRCUT, MAN

"GET YOURSELF A DECENT HAIRCUT, MAN. WE'RE GOING TO THE RACES," Thomas gulped down the whiskey before slamming the glass on the table.

The next morning, inside the Shelby's house, Thomas was the first one to wake up. Or rather, he did not sleep a wink at all. He lay awake that night, staring at the ceiling as he listened to the shovels and picks against the wall. And he prayed and prayed, and he hoped that the sun will come up with the curtains before they breakthrough. But sometimes, the sun beats them. But mostly, the shovel beats the sun.

It was peaceful downstairs when he got there, no shouting Arthur or John, no rowdy and playing children. Only their aunt Polly, drinking her tea and reading today's newspaper. She lifts her gaze as she noticed Thomas walking down the wooden hills. "Tea?" she asked to which her nephew nodded.

Polly then gathered a cup and hot water for the drink, Thomas silently sat down on the vacant chair, lighting up a cigarette. "I heard what happened last night," Polly began, word of mouths indeed travel fast. "Who's the woman? Another whore?" she added, making Thomas' lips twist into a wry smile.

"No, she's a strange... lady," Polly squinted her eyes as she noticed how her nephew smile at the mention of the woman.

"Careful now, Thomas Michael. Strange woman, they'll break your heart," his aunt warned.

"Can't break a broken one, aye?" before Polly could even reply, Arthur stormed inside the kitchen and shouted, "What do we 'ave for breakfast? I'm famished!"

"Shut up and wake your sister up," Polly muttered as she grabbed a pan to start cooking for the Shelby boys.

Once the brothers were all set and done, Thomas started the car's engine as they were on their way to Mercy's workplace. It was only 9 in the morning yet men were all lined up outside the shop, as soon as the Shelbys got out of the car, they cleared the way for the Kings of Small Heath.

Some blokes bid their greetings to the Peaky Blinders but most of them were scared to even look them in the eye.

When they got inside, Mercy welcomed the brothers with a raised eyebrow, "Told ya we'd pay a visit, luv," Arthur said with a playful smile on his lips. While Hubert and Robert were both surprised to see them as they usually get their hair done from McKinley's, a known barbershop in Small Heath.

The customers sitting on the barber chair quickly stood and gave their seats up for the Shelbys, "No, don't you dare. I'm not done with ya," Mercy stopped the young lad before he can even leave the seat.

"B-but... Mr. Shelby is waiting, my hair l-look's good, Ms. Byrne," the poor boy stammered as he fiddled with his fingers, trying to avoid Thomas' eyes from the mirror.

"You better sit down before I smack the bloody hell out of you, boy," Mercy threatened him before turning her face to Thomas, while the two Shelbys were laughing due to her sudden outburst.