Famous Last Words

Famous Last Words

If you knew this was your last day on earth, how would you want to spend it?

"Are you ready?" Dylan asks her after he's explained for the second time how she has to take the bomb out of the body cavity, and keep it level, and then give it to him.

"Do I have a choice?" Meredith asks them.

"You have to be ready," says Dr. Burke.

"George and Izzie should get to stay in the house-" Meredith blurts out.

"Meredith-" says Burke.

"They shouldn't have to leave-" Meredith insists.

"Okay," says Dylan. "Any other last words you want to get out? This is all going to be fine, but I need you to concentrate once we start this," says Dylan.

"Umm... Tell Dr. Montgomery... Tell Addison that um..." Meredith fumbles for a second. "Tell her I love okay? Tell her that I'm in love with her. That I always have been... And I always will be... Yeah... Tell her that," says Meredith.

"Who's Addison?" Dylan whispers to Burke as he nods at Meredith.

"It's her ex-boyfriend's wife," whispers Burke.

"Excuse me," says Meredith. "I have my hand on a bomb inside of a body cavity here. And this is not the time to be judging me," Meredith yelps.

"We're not judging you, Dr. Grey," says Burke.

"I'll tell her, alright. But I promise you, this is all going to be fine. But before we go, does anyone else have any last words?" Dylan offers.

"Tell Cristina I love her too," says Burke. Meredith glares at him.

"What?" says Burke. "I thought we weren't judging here."

"Alright, are we ready now," says Dylan.

"Yes," says Meredith.

"We're ready," says Burke.

Dylan tells her to picture someone she likes while she takes the bomb out. Meredith pictures Addison. Addison telling her it's alright. That she can do this.

Meredith hands Dylan the bomb. It explodes. And he dies. But she lives. And so does Burke. Go figure.

"Should I still tell Addison that you love her?" asks Burke.

"Do you want me to tell Cristina that you said you love her?" asks Meredith.

"No," says Burke.

"Also no," says Meredith. "Coward," says Meredith, after a moment.

"I just want to tell her myself," says Burke. "Are you going to tell Addison?" he asks her.

"Addison's married," Meredith groans.

"But you still love her," says Burke.

"But I still love her," Meredith sighs.

Meredith tells Addison that she loves her after she's had a shower, and she's put on her new lip gloss.

"Look I know this is gonna suck, because you're married, and I stole your husband once... By accident... But anyway, Addison, I love you. And I almost died today, so I get to say that without you or anyone else judging me. And I know that you don't owe me anything. Nothing. But if you feel the same way about me, then you can tell me. Because I almost died today," says Meredith. And then she lets Cristina and Izzie lead her out.

Later on, when Meredith is lying in bed, Izzie says there's a visitor for her at the door.

And much to her dismay, it's Derek.

"Hi-" says Meredith.

"You almost died today," Derek says softly.

"I did," says Meredith.

"And... My wife's here to see you," says Derek, as he walks out the door, and waves goodbye to her.

"Addison-" Meredith leaps into her arms the minute she enters the room.

"You almost died today-" Addison sobs, as she picks the blonde up into her arms. "I delivered Bailey's baby. With George's help. And he's healthy, and her husband is alive. And Burke's alive, and Cristina's alive, and Derek's alive, and Izzie and Alex and George are alive. And you're alive..." says Addison, as she cradles Meredith.

"And?" says Meredith hopefully.

"And I love you too," says Addison, as she kisses Meredith on the cheek.

"And you love me too," Meredith smiles, and then giggles.

"Meredith?" says Addison, as she strokes the tears off of Meredith's cheek.

"Try not to die, or almost die again, will ya?" says Addison.

"I'll try," Meredith grins, as she kisses Addison's forehead.

"Hey, do you want to come over?" Addison offers.

"What, to the trailer?" says Meredith, puzzled.

"Yeah," says Addison. "Derek said that he'd drive us. He's off to visit a friend in New York," says Addison.

"Okay," says Meredith. "I'll get my things," she smiles.

"I'll take good care of her," Addison promises to George and Izzie, who she sees spying on them from around the corner.

"You better," says George.

"Oh, and say hi to Doc for me," says Izzie.

Addison takes Meredith's hand as she leads her out, and the two of them ride off into the moonlight.

"I can't believe Meredith fell for another married Attending," George deadpans to Izzie.

"Everyone's got problems," says Izzie. "What?" she says, as George giggles at her.

"I can't believe she said she'd leave the house to us if she died," says Izzie. "That is so nice of her," she smiles.

"It really is," says George. "It really is."

*

*

*

*

*

***** FIN