Wayward Son Alternate Ending

BAZ

Lamb pulls away from the man he just drained, and looks back at me, grinning.

"See? It's not that hard," he says.

I shudder and struggle to keep my gaze steady. "I can't do that," I whisper.

"Sure you can! Now, let's find you some real food," he smirks, gesturing for me to get in the car with him. I do, reluctantly. "Let's prowl the town, like true vampires! I can teach you so many things you can't even imagine right now."

Minutes too late, I realize we are driving away from Las Vegas and into the desert, where I know all my friends are waiting. I finally understand his motives. He must have found out where they are.

"Turn the car around," I snarl.

He chuckles. "I was just thinking how long it would take for you to realize what we will be doing. To be completely honest with you, we are just going there for one person."

I know exactly who he is talking about.

"No," I say definitively. "Kill me instead."

"We both know that would be nowhere near as fun for me, would it?"

"I can't believe I took so long to see you for who you really are, you fucking bastard. You betrayed me!" I can barely keep my voice from shaking.

Lamb says, "Yes, all right, I've betrayed you. Just keep your cool, Baz, and you'll live to hate me for it."

I'll live. Simon won't.

SIMON

Baz should be coming now. He's taking too long. What if something happened? I turn to Penny, and she gives me a reassuring smile. It'll be okay, she mouths.

Then, I see two figures on top of the dunes. One is obviously Baz, his lean but muscular physique recognizable from a distance, and the other seems to be Lamb. Oh, shit. He motions to someone behind him that none of us can see, and moments later, a group of vampires enter our line of vision.

Once they all see us, Lamb signals them to halt. Lamb leans into Baz and says something.

I can't tell what he is saying, but they both look at me - one with malice, and one with pain. Lamb puts his arm around Baz with a grin, like they are best friends. Baz just stands there, completely still. I see horror in his eyes.

I think I know what is about to happen.

BAZ

"Do it. We both know I will kill him if you don't," Lamb whispers into my ear. Tears stream uncontrollably down my face. I shake my head, and think I'm sorry at Simon.

"All right, then, let's do this my way," he says with a shrug. He orders me to stay where I am, and steps towards him, licking his lips. I watch his fangs pop.

No.

Before I know it, I throw Lamb to the ground and lunge towards Simon. I pull him into my arms, holding him tight. I kiss him as I run my fingers through the bronze curls I missed so much. He sobs into me. We fall to the ground.

"Just bite me. Finish this, right now," he says, baring his neck. "Save yourself."

"Simon, how can you say that?" my eyes widen in miserable disbelief. All I can focus on is his mole. It's perfectly round and dark brown.

"Just do it! It will be easier for everyone!" he yells through his sobs. I can't process what he said. How could he think that? I look into his eyes to see if he is serious. He is.