S2: 58 | What I've Been Waiting For

"And I knew that you used me from the day that we first met, but I'm not done yet. Falling for your fool's gold."- Fool's Gold, One Direction

Chapter Fifty-eight
-

THE MOONLIGHT SHONE through the night, hitting my skin in it's cold embrace. White filled my vision as I gazed upon the snowy planes outside the cabin.

The gift-giving between friends ended earlier in the day, leaving me to my own devices.

It was 9 in the evening and they all stayed inside chattering amongst themselves as they waited for it to become midnight so we could all welcome January first together. The fireworks were on the ready.

The tour manager, Ibiza, already paved a way to allow me to do what I've been planning by keeping everyone in one place tonight.

I was at the cabin's backyard, sitting criss-cross applesauce on the bench as I gazed at the moon that shone above me.

My head perked up when I heard the slight crackling of fallen leaves being stepped on.

My insides churned. I expected a million thoughts running around my head, but alas, my mind was blank.

"Lotte?" My dear friend's chirpy voice called out to me.

"Ibiza said you wanted to talk to me.." My friend started mumbling as she walked.

"But I was like- why ten in the evening though? Like, that's so slenderina vibes— ugh. You're so creepy, Lotte."

I choked in a laugh.

I turned around in my seat as I bit back silent tears that were threatening to spill. My eyes met my friend's baby blue ones.

"Hi Angel." I smiled at her through my hazy tear-filled vision.

She looked up at me, "Oh hey—wait why are you crying?"

She looked at me with concern as she finally stepped in front of me.

"Oh-" I was mildly surprised at what she said.

I reached up to wipe the wet tears that unknowingly spilled on my cheeks.

"What did you want to talk about?" She asked.

The two of us finally settled down on the bench, each looking up at the night sky that covered our world like a pitch black blanket littered with glitters.

"Is everything okay?" She asked again after a few seconds of silence on my part.

"Everything's..." I sniffled. "... fine."

Her eyes looked at me with concern, "Lotte—"

"I'm leaving, Angel." I managed to choke back my tears when I said this.

She looked taken aback for a second before relaxing again. "Well, duh. We all leave for the remainder of the tour in America tomorrow."

Tomorrow.

I gulped down the heavy guilt lodged in my throat that weighed me down more than it should.

We leave for America tomorrow.

"Yeah..." I trailed off. "We leave for America tomorrow."

I turned to her, "How would you feel if I told you that I've been keeping a secret from you for so long?"

Angel looked taken aback. She pursed her lips before answering my question.

"I'm a newbie in the friendship department. I don't know the first thing about keeping communication alive and nurturing trust.."

She then continued, grasping my cold hand in her warm mitten-clad ones.

"But.. if there's one thing I know, it's that..."

She looked at me with a small smile on her lips, "Friends are allowed to have secrets. You don't owe me anything."

"Besides, if you kept it from me for so long.." She trailed off. "Then you might have a good reason for doing so."

I looked at her, my lips painted into a small smile as well. "Angel..."

And then I told her what I've been keeping from everybody for so long.

She was surprised at first, slightly disappointed, but she was happy for me.

At some point, the both of us cried into each other's arms because of my sudden secret confession. But all was well.

"Here." I slipped a small item in her hands.

She looked at it, her lips twitching up into a smile.

She then looked back up at me with a full grin, remembering the small favor I asked of her during our talk about my secret that even you, the reader, cannot know.

"I know what I have to do."

With that, she stood up and made her way inside, but not before waving goodbye at me.

Minutes later, I found myself standing up and following the same steps she'd taken. I looked around for wandering eyes. When I saw that there was none, I slipped inside the cabin unnoticed and made my way to Jordan and I's room.

I looked around and spotted the familiar red bag filled to the brim with presents.

I quickly grabbed it and silently went out of the room.

Since everyone is in the lounge room, this is my opportunity to give them all their gifts in secret.

I already placed my gift for Jordan inside his bag this morning— and surprise, he still hasn't seen it.

I slipped inside Daniel and Jack's room. The smell of pinecone and faint watermelon instantly welcomed me.

I looked around the sheets were well-made. It wasn't difficult to figure out which bed was which— Daniel had Bob, our stuffed bear love-child on his bed, while Jack had a half-opened songbook on his.

I spotted each of their travel suitcases and placed the presents I had for them inside the secured packets— so they wouldn't be able to find them immediately.

After that, I slipped into Jonah, Marie, Zach and Corbyn's, Ibiza and Harry's and all the crew members' roomd, doing the same.

However, when I got to the end of the hallway, I heard footsteps fast-approaching.

I stiffened. My heart started beating tremendously inside my ribcage in nervousness.

What if someone catches me?

So I did the most rational thing I could do at the moment. I opened the door to the last room and locked myself inside.

I pressed my back on the door with my eyes clenched shut in fear as I let out a breath that I didn't know I've been holding.

"What are you doing here?"

My heart stopped.

Oh my flickity fluck.

-