IX

MIA

The next morning, when the six of them were at Exites, just stopping for Kevin and Neil's enjoyment, Mia got a call. She stood outside with the car and answered it, despite not knowing the number and being certain it was a bad idea.

'Who is this?' Mia asked, looking around for any suspicious behaviour.

'Hello, Artemisia,' Mia froze at the sound of the voice and her name being spoken - her true name. 'I don't think we've been properly introduced. If you meet me in half an hour at the location I am going to text you, we can talk things over.' Mia was searching the streets frantically. How could this person have gained access to  her phone number? 'Your family and mine, we haven't always gotten along. It's time we change that, don't you think?'

'Who is this?' Mia repeated. A laugh came from the other end of the line, and then there was silence. Mia pulled the phone away from her ear and stared at the blank screen. No Caller ID

Mia crossed the parking lot and entered the store, immediately finding Nicky. She grabbed his sleeve and turned him to face her. There was a wide grin on his face that dropped as soon as he saw Mia's own expression. 'Where's Neil?'

Nicky only pointed in the general direction of the stairs before Mia was up them. She headed to the second and then third floor, finding Andrew standing by the goalie racquets. Mia tapped her thumb and index finger against each other, deciding what to do, but her feet were guiding her in his direction.

Andrew noticed her coming and turned and smiled. 

'Look, I'm not in the mood for any of your games today, Andrew,' Mia hissed, looking around. 'But I need to leave, and I need you to look after Kevin and Neil - I know you already do, even Neil - because I think something bad is about to happen. Maybe just to me, but maybe to all of us. So I need you to be on high alert today, even though you're soaring right now.'

'Alrighty,' Andrew mocked and Mia's teeth ground against each other. 'What's got you in such a tizzy?' Mia shook her head and went back down the stairs, not bothering to find her cousin first. He'll be fine, she told herself. Neil knows how to protect himself. Mia ran out of the store and looked down at her phone to find a text ping up on the screen with an address.

Except when he doesn't, a small part of Mia's brain forced her into believing the worst would happen to Neil, but she shook that off, too, and ran to the address as quickly as she could. Mia could only hope she'd get there within the half hour.

]|[|]|[

'Hello?' Mia called. She'd ended up in an apartment. There had been a key waiting for her at the reception. The lady had recognised her somehow, and it set Mia even more on edge. She itched for her knives in her boots and the guns that weren't there anymore. 

The apartment had no furniture in it - no signs of anyone living there - except for a table and two chairs. Mia looked around. There weren't even lights on - weren't even any light switches. 

'Hello, Artemisia,' The same voice from the call said, and Mia spun to find the source. 'It's lovely to finally meet you dear,' Mia spotted the figure standing by the hallway. It was a man, probably in his twenties - no more than twenty-five, if Mia had to guess - and he was tall. Very tall. 

'Who are you?' Mia asked. The man stepped forward into the room and Mia saw him - actually saw him - for the first time; Ichirou Moriyama.