3||hectic

✿

"Moody, no!" 

As the boy attempted to lick the lightbulb, he dropped it, causing the object to shatter on the wood floors. Gasps were heard around the room.

"Everyone stand still right where you are." Mother warned. 

"My child! My child!" One of the mothers that had walked in the room panicked. 

"Please stay back. Thank you." Mother replied, remaining calm. "Logic dictates that there are no shards under your feet, and I'd like to keep it that way."

"I'll fetch a broom." I volunteered, remaining calm. I walked into the back room and found a dustpan and broom set.

We swept up the mess, making sure no one was hurt. The mothers who had walked into the room were obviously not pleased whatsoever. We moved the desks back to their original places and many of the mothers took their children home for the day.

"We expect this classroom to be orderly and calm, and we expect you to conform to the curriculum." Rachel Lynde lectured my mother.

"Science is part of the course of study." Mother defended. 

I sighed and walked away from the conversation, not wanting to listen to Rachel Lynde scold my mother for being innovative. 

"Pardon me, Miss Stacy is a dedicated, capable teacher." Gilbert stepped in to the conversation my mother was having with the other mothers. I found that extremely kind of him. 

"I hope to be exactly like her someday." Anne added. "She is a smart, lovely career woman who is a superior educator despite overcoming a tragical romance." I admired Anne's comment, though I think she could have left out the last part. 

"Good thing you'll be writing that essay on gossip again." Mother replied to Anne in a bittersweet tone. 

"The Progressive Mothers fought hard for the first female teacher in Avonlea. Please, don't squander the opportunity." One of the mothers concluded as they all left the building. 

Class was dismissed for the day after that event and everyone else began to pile out of the school. 

"I'll meet you at home, dear." Mother said to me. I smiled and nodded as I grabbed my coat, hat, gloves and bag from the locker where I had left them. 

As I began walking home, I felt a presence behind me. 

"Thank you, for defending my mother." I said, already knowing who was behind me. 

"Oh, well... I meant every word." Gilbert replied, walking a bit faster to catch up to me. He seemed slightly taken aback by the fact that I knew he was behind me.

"Well thank you. I think you influenced those Progressive Mothers a great deal." I replied. 

"It was nothing, really." Gilbert replied. "So... If you don't mind me asking, since we're walking the same way anyways, care to walk with me?"