3

Barlow and Harper were starting to settle into their new life in Vegas. Barlow went to practice each morning, training hard next to her new team before grabbing a quick lunch with a few of the guys. Then she would spend the rest of her day with her daughter, taking her around town to see all the new shops and even the playground. Barlow was getting ready for the preseason start, being a center she was going to run on the 1st line to test out the waters. She was nervous to say the least, like a rookie on their first game in the NHL. Changing teams was never easy, but going to a team that made it to the Cup finals in their first year…. She had a lot to prove. She got Harper dressed and ready for breakfast before she had to go to practice. Barlow threw on a pair of black leggings, a blue and purple sports bra, a white muscle shirt and a pair of runners. She threw her hair up into a messy bun and went down to see if Harper was ready to eat. She sat the toddler down in her chair and grabbed her cereal bowl, sitting it down in front of her.

"Mommy, can I come to pwactice with you?" Harper asked. She couldn't really say her R's that well so they normally sounded like W's. It was really adorable. Barlow sat down and looked at her redhead daughter.

"You want to come and watch Mommy's practice?" She asked with a raised eyebrow. Harper had come to a few practices over the years but got bored quickly just sitting there for a few hours. She watched the little girl take a bite of her food and nod her head. Barlow smiled softly and shook her head before replying "Well Kate is going to take you to get a new pair of shoes today, but how about I have her bring you to the rink earlier so you can see the last bit of practice and then we'll get lunch."

She smiled at daughter who hummed happily as she ate. She finished getting ready for practice, making sure everything was in her bag before kissing Harper goodbye when Kate showed up to watch her. She walked out the door, going to her Honda CR-V and throwing her bag into the trunk. She started her car and pulled out of her driveway, heading to the rink. She watched as the Nevada desert scenery went by her window, the city in all its glory flashing by. She thumped her fingers against the steering wheel in beat to the music she was listening to. Her phone started ringing as she was at a stoplight. She looked down to see her brother, Patrick was calling. With a smile she answered.

"Hey Patty."

"Hey Barlow. How are you and my favorite niece settling in?" Her brother's voice filled her car speakers. Barlow smiled and shook her head.

"Harper is your only niece dork." She chuckled. "But we have moved in and Harper seems to have adjusted well. I'm still trying to get my bearings with the team and all." She turned left to keep going to the rink. She heard her brother sigh on the phone.

"Have you tried making friends?" He asked.

"God, you sound like mom Patty."

His laugh filled her car as she chuckled.

"Seriously Bar, I know you don't try when it comes to making friends. Is there no one on the team you can… I don't know, hang out with for lunch and stuff?" He continued.

Barlow rolled her eyes and turned into the parking lot for team members and parked her car. "Does it count if Harper ate lunch with a teammate and I joined them?" She questioned.

"Wait…. Harper went with one of the guys to get food? Without you? She never does that."

"I know. But she really took to him. She calls him pretty a lot."

"Who is this lucky man?" Patrick asked.

"Fleury" was all she said as she grabbed her water bottle, phone and keys. She held the phone up to her ear so she could finish her conversation with her brother.