𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖊𝖝𝖕𝖊𝖗𝖎𝖒𝖊𝖓𝖙

𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘱𝘭𝘪𝘤𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘥, 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘸𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘮𝘦,
𝘪 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘣𝘭𝘦 𝘶𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘮𝘺𝘴𝘦𝘭𝘧

A knock sounds at their cell door. Wanda hates to think of it as a cell- they are volunteers, and their room isn't stones or anything. But at the end of the day, it's a cell all the same. Pietro pushes himself from the wall and Wanda stands up straighter than before, dropping her hands to her sides. The lock clicks and an agent steps in.

"Miss Maximoff, Mr. Maximoff. If you would follow me." He says and turns. The twins look at each other before Pietro takes the lead with Wanda at his heels. 

They follow the agent down twisting hallways. It feels endless, like the walls are stretching forward and they are merely walking in circles. That is, until they reach a door.

The agent opens it and steps to the side, allowing the twins to step inside. Pietro goes in first, and once he's in Wanda follows. Nothing could have prepared her for what she saw.

Being with HYDRA had conditioned the girl quite a lot. She had seen more than most people her age had, she had been through more than most people any age had. At night, she could still feel the aches from the past experiments, the bruises that never seemed to fully heal. She could hear their sharp, barking voices in her ears when the silence came. 

Who would have thought that a toddler could be the scariest thing she had seen?

The little girl's head swivels around to face them, her wispy brown locks floating as if they are barely attached to her scalp. She twirls the hem of her plain t shirt nervously and looks at the two siblings with large brown eyes. 

There's something off about her, Wanda realizes immediately.

A man turns from the table, taken aback by the sudden entrance into the room. He's short and has a big bushy mustache the color of snow, and his face in pinched and angry looking.

"Ah, Maximoffs. Welcome." he says and steps forward. The little girl stays in her place, unmoving. "Dr. Martin Chevolak."

Each twin takes a turn shaking the doctor's hand, and an awkward silence of sorts falls over the room until the doctor clears his throat. "I cannot thank you enough, Miss Maximoff. Your contribution-"

"What contribution?" Wanda interrupts. Dr. Chevolak's face twists into an expression of disdain.

"Using a sample of your DNA, we were able to combine-"

"My DNA? I didn't consent to any tests like that. I would have known!" Wanda steps forward fiercely, and Pietro puts a hand on her arm, saying through his eyes "Don't push it." From the corner of her eye, she can see the girl take the slightest step back.

Dr. Chevolak sighs. "We had a leftover sample of your DNA from one of the various tests you willingly consented to when you two signed up for this." he explains. "Using that sample and another specimen's sample, we were able to-"

"Who was the other specimen?" Wanda interrupts yet again, and this time the doctor doesn't try to mask his annoyance. He makes a grunting noise.

"A soldier who didn't have a good reaction to our serum. He's gone now." Dr. Chevolak pushes out in a huff, and a weight suddenly settles in Wanda's chest. 

"We were able to create this."

The doctor steps aside and once again, the little girl is the center of attention. Her hand has now migrated from the hem of her shirt to her mouth, sucking her thumb. Even though she didn't want to, Wanda couldn't help the sympathy tugging at her. She wanted to pick the girl up and take her away from all of this, take her to a home where she would have a Mama and Papa and they would eat family dinner together at night.