Chapter Twenty-Six: Honey Bun

"Why doesn't Kelsey want you to eat sweets?" Luke asked softly. They were half way into a tub of ice cream, sharing secrets and spoonfuls.

Ashton's mouth was full of brownie batter Ben & Jerry's. He swallowed the cold soft-serve before speaking.

"It's difficult," Ashton began. Luke's eyes were wide with curiosity beside Ashton. Soft tendrils framed his forehead.

"Yeah?" He asked softly, holding Ashton's hand.

"She owns a yoga and spin studio. When she was younger, she was bullied for being overweight. She worked hard for her body, and she wants those around her to live just as clean. She knew I struggled with my image, and she was willing to help me feel better about myself. It was good for me at the time. It was what I wanted, but..." Ashton exhaled slowly.

"But? You're gay?" Luke asked, rubbing Ashton's arm.

Ashton looked down at where there thighs touched. It was a question he asked himself every day and every night before he went to bed.

"I don't know..." Ashton whimpered, "I've never told anyone this, but since I was fifteen I could only get off to gay porn. And I've always liked other boys growing up, but liking girls was never really...a problem. I just liked people who I thought were cute. And then, I started to get negative attention from my swimming team. It slowly developed into a mess."

"That's okay. You don't have to label it, Ashy," Luke whispered softly. He slowly ran his hands through Ashton's hair. It sent chills down his spine and relaxed him all at once.

"I don't know if I'll ever be able to talk about it," Ashton laid on Luke's chest. The sound of his heartbeat was rhythmic, reminding him of days that he would play the drums in the garage when he was a teenager.

"I know," was all Luke said.

They sat there, nursing the ice cream carton and mindlessly watching a sitcom on Luke's living room TV. Even TV was more comfortable at Luke's house. And for an added bonus, there were more fairy lights draped around the room. It was ambient, reminiscent of heaven. Luke was just like heaven. (Which, was hilarious considering all gay people were supposed to go to hell).

"I told her I would be with my family all night," Ashton laid down in Luke's lap. Normally, Luke would scold him for lying to an innocent girl, but tonight he knew that Ashton was trying his best at honesty. He was the most compassionate person Ashton knew.

"You can stay with me and snuggle," Luke traced his fingers over Ashton's lips. Ashton kissed the pad of Luke's fingertip and sighed.

"I need you. You couldn't pry me off of you," Ashton said in a soft haze. Luke's hair seemed to glow with the fairy lights dangling above him.

"You're sweet when you want to be," Luke said, and Ashton could tell that he was fighting back a smile. "I'll make you some honey buns."

He was the sweet one.

"I think I love you," Ashton whispered.