Chapter 34 - Ori

Ori watched Ansira's expression change from rage to shock in a matter of seconds after Kianna had told her who was behind the poisoning of the Belisar children. 

"The lost Victari heir is a rumour, a myth," Ansira said, but her eyes flickered, uncertain. With a glance at her sleeping princess, Ansira got up and walked across the room, out of potential earshot of Isadaya. They gathered in the adjoining lounge. 

"What do you know?" Ansira asked, carefully eyeing each of them. Ori couldn't tell whether or not she believed them.

Kianna was chewing on her bottom lip. She was the one holding all the information as Luka had sought her out.

"I don't know how many informants he have on the inside, but he made it seem as if he'd know whether or not I told anyone." She glanced around, as if to check whether the tapestry had ears. 

On Ori's right, Thatch moved closer to the back wall. "I don't suppose there are hidden servant corridors behind these walls?"

Ansira narrowed her eyes. "Of course there are. Servants need to move fast from the kitchens and other places so that their masters are not kept waiting."

"Makes sense. So that means there could be hidden panels for eavesdropping and for watching what goes on behind royal closed doors where secrets may be spilled." His words hung in the air as they slowly sinked in.

Ori rubbed an aching spot between his eyes. "So, you're saying we're not safe to speak anywhere within the castle walls because of who might be listening." 

"Exactly, Waterman."

"Don't call me that."

"You can call me Fireball if you want?"

"Guys shut up." Emmie walked over to Ori's side and warmth immediately engulfed his insides. On the outside he remained calm, but his fingers almost twitched to reach out and touch her. 

"What are we going to do?" Ki asked and beside him, Ori saw Emmie's eyes widen slightly. 

"What about the jungle?"

Ansira looked at Emmie. "What about it?"

"Could we not use the jungle to speak freely? It would be a lot harder to sneak up on someone through the foliage and if you brought Takita, she could alert us of any presence. She'd be able to smell them from far away."

Ki nodded with smile, but then she said,"It is a good suggestion, Em, but I don't think the King will let anyone leave the castle after this attack. It would seem too suspicious if we all leave, like we're hiding something."

"Well, we are, aren't we?" Thatch shrugged and cocked his head.

"Shut up, Thatch," Ki hissed at him. Those two definitely had something to work out once they all returned to Aethorin, Ori thought to himself.

"So if we can't leave the castle to talk then we might as well just do it here then," Ansira said, arms crossed over her chest. Her eyes kept wandering towards Isadaya, who was still completely out cold on the bed. 

"Wait," Ki said and stepped closer to examine the wall. "What if I could make sure no one is eavesdropping?"

"Then that would be fantastic," Ori replied. "What did you have in mind?"

Kianna turned to Ansira. "How do we get access to the servant's corridor?"

"There is a hidden doorway behind the large painting of the jungle hanging about midway down the hallway." 

"No key or anything needed?"

"No, because most people do not know of its existence."

"Perfect. Thatch, Ori, would you be so kind as to go into the corridor and up to this wall in just a minute?"