Chapter One: School

"Come on, let's go!" Jungkook's Mom watched 7 year old Jungkook jump up and down in excitement at the front door, clutching his backpack and looking adorable in the new school uniform. It was the first day of school, and Jungkook's very first day of primary school. He had loved the nursery school he went to from 3-6. Every teacher raved about how smart he was, his skill at drawing and singing and sports and games. She smiled tenderly at her little bunny bouncing with excitement at the front door.

"Junghyun, are you ready, son?" She called. Jungkook's elder Hyung, 9 year old Junghyun, came out of the kitchen holding a book in one hand and a bun in the other.

"Come on now, Hyunah, Kookie is excited, let's go." She said, with another smile at both sons, both so very "them" in that moment: Junghyun was studious and focused and Jungkookie was...energetic. She giggled watching him jump up and down with excitement.

Finally they were on their way, and Jungkook's contagious energy had caught them both, as Jungkook and Junghyun raced, holding hands... she skipped along to keep up.

When they got to school both boys were sweaty and gasping. She took a handkerchief and wiped their faces as they caught their breath.

"Let me get a picture of you boys on the first day!" She said and they stood beside and beamed at her as she snapped the picture.

"Junghyun, you are going to walk Jungkookie to his classroom?" She asked, suddenly nervous to release her perfect son into the world again after a summer of having him all to herself.

"Okay," Jungkook's Hyung agreed, and the boys took hands again and walked, uniforms matching, into the school. Jungkook's Mom watched them and couldn't help a tear slide down her cheek.

.................................................................................

She walked back to the school early in the afternoon, excited to see how Jungkook enjoyed his first day.

Junghyun came out first and looked happy, he started to tell her about his teachers and which friends were in his classes.

But when Jungkook came out a few minutes later, his brow was furrowed with worry and his steps were heavy...usually he flew across the ground like the wind. She stared at him anxiously and dropped to her knees when he came close, grasping his arms.

"Jungkookah, are you okay?"

He met her eyes and then glared, eyes shifting sideways.

"I..." he swallowed, "I don't think my teacher likes me very much." Suddenly the little boy was crying and she was enveloping him in her arms. Jungkook's Mom's heart was breaking but she could tell he didn't want to talk about it in front of the school.