The Last Line of Defense

The moment the others had confirmed that the snap must have been successful, Thor was poised to take flight to Wakanda for Dean. It was only the massive explosion that had halted him. Now, standing among smoldering rubble, he leaned over Jack's prone body, having used his own as a shield to protect him.

"Thor," Jack gasped. He sat up and succumbed to a coughing fit.

Thor helped the man sit up and eyed him worriedly. There were no visible injuries. The Raptor suit was quite sturdy in this way. Still, concern for Dean's father saw Thor checking him for bodily harm all the same.

"I'm alright," Jack finally managed to say. "The others?"

Thor looked ahead and watched as Tony began to rouse Steve. No one else was in what was left of the room with them. The ceiling began to collapse and Thor quickly caught it with his hands before shoving it aside. Once this danger had passed, he walked toward the jagged opening that granted him a view of the outside, obscured only by smoke.

"You lose this again, I'm keeping it," Tony muttered from behind him.

Thor looked over his shoulder, watching as Tony handed Steve his shield.

"What happened?" The Super Soldier asked.

"We messed with time. Time messed back," Tony explained.

"Where are the others?" Steve asked.

"I read life signs, maybe 800 feet down, but it's hard to tell," Tony reported.

Thor listened to their conversation only half heartedly as his view began to clear. His expression shifted from a neutral one to one of total hostility at what he saw.

Thanos was sitting on a rock, a large sword nearby. His bearing suggested he was patiently waiting for something. Waiting for them. The others approached Thor and stood with him to take in the sight.

"What the hell is he doing?" Tony asked.

Thor shook his head. "Nothing. Absolutely nothing."

"That's the one who killed my family," Jack spoke angrily.

Thor put a hand on Jack's shoulder. "Not alone, Jack. We face him together."

The four of them stared at Thanos for a long while, taking on the sight of him. Then, as if he knew he was being observed, Thanos looked at them, his expression unmoved.

"Son of a bitch," Steve muttered. "Where are the Stones?"

Tony gestured at the massive rubble around them. "Somewhere under all of this. All I know is he doesn't have them."

"Then we keep it that way," Steve decided.

Thor stared at Thanos, taking on the placid expression and body language. He knew they meant only one thing. "You know this must be a trap."

Tony's armor deployed and his palms began to glow. "Don't think I care."

Jack activated his armor as well, completely encasing himself within it and preparing himself for battle.

"Just so we're all in agreement," Thor spoke in a calm tone as he reached out with both hands. Mjolnir and Stormbreaker simultaneously slapped into both palms. The intimidating crackle of thunder erupted as lightning struck the Asgardian. In this burst of unbridled natural fury, Thor's clothing tore away to reveal his cape and armor. Even his beard and hair were swept up in the traditional Asgardian braids that his kind had worn into war for time immemorial. He looked to his comrades, his eyes aglow with lightning. "Let's kill him properly this time."