[6]

[ASTRID REESE]
London, England

[ASTRID REESE]London, England

★ ★ ★

Astrid knew as much as she needed to know. His name. His job title. His relation to Astrid's ex. All the important things.

Sort of.

She only really needed his name and the rest was up to the future. More specifically, for her to figure out as the two would proceed to get to know each other. The reason behind her lack of stalking—although it felt quite thorough when she came up with this insane idea—was due to the need she felt to make this plan as genuine as it could be. Yes, she had an ultimate outcome of this, a goal of sorts that she was working towards, but everything in between... she wanted all of that to be somewhat real. Over the past few weeks, she realised she hadn't thought of what would happen after she faces her ex, and so, the idea of her staying with the surgeon began to cycle in her mind.

Would it work? Could it work? The entire relationship, on her part anyway, started as nothing more than revenge. A lie. Her feelings had been compromised by this idea of hurting her ex back by showing up with someone else. And when this thought process invaded her mind, it led her to question whether she tried to prove that she was better off without him, or that she was as completely rotten on the inside as she imagined he thought of her whilst making the decision to cheat.

Either outcome meant she did not deserve Harry Styles, therefore even if the relationship could work, it would not. Her subconscious wouldn't allow any peace for her to enjoy being with a man like that.

Still, she already happened to be knee deep in the water, with the tides beginning to form. Astrid Reese couldn't swim to save her life, but she could float. And as long as she remained afloat, she was safe and alive.

"'...amongst these names, Mr Harry Styles stands out the most. The world class neurosurgeon—who has earned himself the title ten times over—is set to be leading a project which explores the topic of brain transplants.' Holy shit," Sofia mumbled in between sentences, reacting to what the article said that she decided to read out loud. The screen of her phone lit up her face as she hunched over the device. "'Although it is fairly early to say whether the surgeon will succeed or take a step back for the purpose of further studying the subject, it is to be noted that his outstanding track record only leaves us with high hopes.' So basically, he is a genius and you are screwing him. Wow."

"I'm not screwing him," Astrid sighed as she threw the chopped-up onion, garlic, yellow and orange bell peppers, spring onion, and chilli into the pan, already covered with sunflower oil.

"Are you catching feelings for him already?"

"Not... no."

"Not no?" Sofia laughed, finding the answer ridiculous and it was. Astrid knew it was. But she had no idea what else she was doing. Sofia's phone landed on the marble kitchen counter as she rid herself of the device and focused on Astrid. "Doesn't matter—this man... he is a living legend. You get that, right?"