Chapter 7: Memories

Note from the Author:

Okay... So I'm sorry it took so long, but it's up now lol. I have been so busy with school and such that I just forgot to put it up!!! He he. Sorry!!! So, I dedicated this chapter to a really good author, check her out of you want:) it is totally a romance novel for band nerds!!!!!!

Anyway, I love you guys!!!!! Have a nice day!!!!!;D

Chapter 7: Memories

Selene tried to talk past the lump in her throat.

"You are from Romania?" she questioned, wiping sweaty palms on her breeches.

Adrian flipped the chair around backwards, sat down, and straddled it. He poured himself a tankard of rum, and took a careful sip before speaking.

"Yes, I'm from Romania," he said. "But I left my life there a long time ago. I prefer not to talk about it,"

"Why?" she asked.

He looked right into her eyes.

"I have a rather painful past," he said.

"But you met the princess, that must have been exciting," she murmured, not remembering meeting him before. Surely she would remember those brooding eyes.

A half grin lit up his face.

"She was only about eight years old," he said, being pulled back into memories...

Adrian pressed himself up against the wall, as to not be seen in the dark.

His stomach growled, and he cursed at how hungry he was.

The last thing he stole wasn't enough for him, his sister, Emily,and his mother, Eileen, so he just let them have it. It was so much of a sacrifice being the man of the family. Him not knowing his father, he was the one who supported his family. And with his mother sick, he had no way to try to find medicine, and feed them to.

He was going to have to get a big steal tonight, or he knew his family was done for.

Sure he had been taking the odd jobs like delivering the paper, and working in the meat factory, but what good did it really do them to make a penny a day? A loaf of bread, but nothing but dirty water to wash it down with!

So this was his big hit tonight. The palace.

His heart was pounding a mile a minute, but he knew that he had to do it.

Looking both ways before crossing the street, as his mother had taught him, he hurried across, trying not to be seen.

He hid against the castle's protective wall, and noticed the men that guarded the castle were asleep at their posts, as usual.

The king really needs better men, Adrian thought, and made his way to the servants entrance.

He knocked lightly three times, waited for a second, and then knocked four more times.

The door slowly creaked open, and a maid stood there.

"Adrian," she said softly. Her name was Erin, and she was a friend of his mother's.

"Are you fully prepared, Adrian?" she asked.

"Yes, ma'am," he said.

She pulled him inside, and shut the door.

"The kitchen is just through there," she pointed through a doorway. "You are on your own now! I won't be caught up in this anymore than I already am."