one

"you're taking what you want right from me."

WARNING!
mentions of blood are in this chapter.

"who did he break up with again?"

"kang seonmi! and she was the one who dumped him."

huang dongmei raised her eyebrows and simply nodded at yiren's words. truth be told, she knew exactly who kang seonmi was. a girl who was humorous, modest, and the sweetheart of the school--exactly his type.

in comparison, dongmei herself was loud, obnoxious, and quite irritable. as her twin brother liked to put it, the hair dye she drowned her hair in once a month seeped into her skull and made her the disappointment of the family. but she couldn't help loving him, someone who was the opposite of her.

and he was also her brother's best friend.

dongmei's eyes flickered from yiren to her locker, which was hiding multiple photos of him. of course, she could never reveal her prized possessions to yiren, her one best friend, since she truly believed dongmei wasn't into anyone.

"why'd she break up with him?" dongmei asked nonchalantly.

"apparently she wanted to focus on her studies more," yiren answered, picking at her nails. "since she got accepted to this big biochemistry research project in incheon."

of course she did. she was their grade's valedictorian, after all.

dongmei bit her inner cheek. there was no way she could compete with her. he was always incredibly loyal, to both his friends and his lover. there was no way he would get over her in a week--hell, even six months. and who wouldn't want to be kang seonmi's boyfriend, the epitome of of perfect.

yiren stared at the blue-haired girl, who was lost in her thoughts. she had never seen dongmei be this focused on a topic ever since she arrived at their school. yiren smiled slightly, remembering how her best friend and her brother helped her with the language barrier that prevented her from interacting with the other students in the school.

"look who it is! dongmi!"

the two girls faced the one and only lee donghyuck. he waved his hand around rapidly as jaemin and jeno trailed behind the exuberant boy.

"where's injun?" donghyuck questioned.

dongmei stiffened and quickly averted her gaze. "about that..."

"you poured milk and cereal into his mouth while he was snoring so he would have breakfast literally as soon as he woke up but instead he choked on the food and you retreated to school to avoid his yelling?" jeno said.

"how'd you know?"

"you do that every other week, dongmei."

the blue-haired girl crossed her arms. "for your information, i only do it because he's always late after his midnight gallon of tea!"

"it's not a gallon, shitmei!"

dongmei pursed her lips as her twin brother stormed into the hallway, piercing her with his glare. "such a vulgar name, how rude!" the girl huffed, turning her head away from renjun.

"okay dung-dong," renjun responded, to which dongmei smacked his head at.

and so, the huang twins began their daily fight in public at school.

yiren sighed and faced jaemin and jeno, who were rolling their eyes at donghyuck rooting for dongmei's win. "have you guys heard about the breakup?"