Heartless and Hopeful

Chapter 1 – I'm Not a Stalker!

Haru glanced down at the printed file in her hand, and then back up at the person sitting in the corner table. She couldn't tell if it was the right person just by looking at them, since the file didn't show any pictures other than the cover of the book. But when she'd asked after someone called Baron, everyone had pointed her in this direction, and there wasn't anyone else sitting out the back of the library. And she needed that book.

It was the same book she had been hunting down for over three weeks. She needed the book to complete her English Lit assignment, but unfortunately it had been out of the library for the past month. After a while, Haru got sick of waiting for the book to come back in, and had asked for the book's file so she could track down its current holder and ask for the book back.

Taking a breath before checking her watch, Haru forced herself to head towards the figure at the table and stop before them. With their head bowed over the book on the table before them, all Haru could tell about them was that they had a strange shade of tawny-golden hair. She cleared her throat awkwardly, and started to speak, but then he looked up at her with his green, green eyes, and the words died in her throat. Distantly, Haru was aware that she was staring with her mouth open, and she snapped it closed, before swallowing.

The man with the hypnotizing emerald eyes raised a single eyebrow at Haru, a slightly amused smirk playing on his lips before he replaced it with a polite smile. "Can I help you, Miss?"

Haru swallowed again when she heard his accent, and internally cursed herself for even attempting this. But then she reminded herself why she needed that book, and why she needed good results so she could get a good job after university.

"Um, hi," she said, proud of herself for meeting his gaze – although, she noted, it's not as if I could ever look away from eyes like those. "My name is Yoshioka Haru, and I'm looking for a book that you've currently got out."

His brow furrowed slightly. "I ... see. How exactly did you know I had this book out, Miss Haru?"

"I'm not a stalker!" Haru immediately blurted, before covering her face in embarrassment. "Alex was right," she mumbled to herself. "I shouldn't have done this. I should've just had some patience like a normal person, but no, I insisted..."

She trailed off as she heard quiet laughter from the blonde man. "That's not what I meant at all, Miss Haru," he reassured her. "I merely meant that library records aren't usually available for the public eye."

Haru brought her hands away from her face, but she couldn't seem to make herself look him in the eye. "Uh, well, my sister works some spare hours at the library on campus, and she let me take a look at the file since I really need that book. Wait a sec," she added, suddenly realizing something. "You are Baron, right? Baron von Gikkingen?"

"Indeed," he confirmed, cocking his head at her. "Could I ask which book you need?"

"Heartless," Haru told him. "It's written by Marissa Meyer. I need it for my English Lit assignment."

Understanding flitted across his face. "Would this be the novel analysis assignment, in English Lit class 4?"

Haru's brow furrowed in confusion as she nodded. "And it's due in two weeks."

Baron chuckled...

A.N. And it's story over. This one was supposed to be a Real World AU of them just bonding over reading the same copy of Heartless by Marissa Meyer. At one point they have an argument, but then they read the last chapter together and bond over the character death. If anyone hasn't read Heartless, I highly recommend. It's an absolutely fantastic book that will probably crush your heart. Don't worry, though, it's worth it.

As I said last chapter, if anyone wants to finish any of these stories, PM me and I'll get back to you.