Call to War

Ok, I'm sorry. I love Kimblee. I had to write a fic for him. I think this will take a similar path to Broken Wings, I'm in the mood for THAT kind of thing. Have fun with Kimblee though. Oh, this is set pre-Kimblee being insane.

Reader's POV.

I sat in the back of a military van, aware of the sweat dripping down the back of my neck, and I shifted uncomfortably, unable to shake off the growing heat. I had known we were going to the desert, but jeez this was HOT.

I was an alchemist, the Quake Alchemist at that. Lame title, I know, but I was known for creating chasms in the Earth and my abilities to manipulate the ground in ways other alchemists couldn't.

Beside me, Armstrong sat examining his knuckledusters. He was one of my best (and only) friends amongst the group in the van, namely Iron Blood, Silver, Flame and Crimson Lotus. I called them by their nicknames because I was still fairly new to the military, and I honestly didn't know their full ones.

Being the only woman on the van didn't bother me, but the fact that Silver was smiling did. It was creepy.

Flame, who I had reason to believe's name was Roy Mustang (is there anyone who doesn't know his name?) let out a huge sigh, and looked at us all.

"We're meant to protect civilians, but our orders are to kill on sight," he buried his face in his hands.

"It's not too bad," Kimblee muttered, and I could have sworn a half smile graced his lips for a moment. Roy gave him a look of disbelief and sighed again, sliding his gloves on and off nervously.

"We're here," the driver muttered, and we all filed out. We lined up, and I may or may not have been hiding behind both Iron Blood and Armstrong. When we had all been checked in, after they found me, we headed to our tents. We would start fighting in an hour.

I lounged on my camp bed, preparing myself mentally for the horrors I was about to see, and was in a perfectly calm state when someone decided to start shouting for help.

I groaned and trudged outside, but when I saw the tent beside mine I burst into laughter. Armstrong.

"Help! I stood up and the tent collapsed!"

His head appeared under the folds of the collapsed tent, and I laughed so hard my feet couldn't support me.

"Hahaha.. Armstrong.. Ha! You idiot!"

"Quaaakey help mee!" He whined, so I pulled up the tent, well aware he could have gotten out of there himself.

"What's all the noise about?" Crimson appeared, "Armstrong, Quake, some of us are trying not to go insane here,"

Then Armstrong glared at Crimson, and Crimson glared back at Armstrong, and eventually Crimson left. He turned to me one last time.

"Try not to die today, Quake," he muttered, before strolling away, his hair flicking out behind him.

"What a creep," Armstrong muttered. I was about to protest, but there was a shout. It was time to go to war.

Roy emerged from his tent with a blonde, who I recognized as Riza Hawkeye, the sniper. The others emerged too, Silver jumping up and down with excitement, Iron Blood looking tough and Crimson looking... I looked around. He was no-where to be seen. Beside me, Armstrong noticed this.

"Where's Kimblee?" He asked.

"Who?"

"Solf J Kimblee,"

"Who's that?" I had no idea who he was talking about.

He sighed, "Crimson Lotus,"

"Oh. I have no idea,"

"Slacker," Armstrong sighed. Something told me the man wasn't slacking, but that didn't matter.

"You five are the elite force, and we will win this war with your aid. Go out there, and kill on sight!" the general told us, and we set out.

"Quake, stay with me and Roy," Armstrong warned, and I walked between the two men, thankfuk for their protection.
"Murderers!" An Ishvalan teenager appeared, charging at the three of us. Roy sighed regretfully and snapped his fingers, setting the boy alight.
I cringed as the smell of burning flesh reached my nose, and his screams died away.
Roy collapsed, vomiting.
"There, there," Armstrong patted his back, "it's not your fault. He charged us."
I nodded in silent agreement, but tears welled up in my eyes anyway.
Roy stood, nodding as well. We'd been in this place for so little time, yet already the usual glint in his eyes were gone. Would this place be the end of our happiness?

At that moment, a huge explosion rang out just a few blocks away. The sound was deafening, and the three of us collapsed to the floor, holding our ears.
"Shit! What was that?" I demanded.
"Such immense power!" Armstrong roared in awe.
Roy's face turned pale white, and he whispered a name: "Kimblee"