1.

Okay before we get started, maybe I should give you some background information about the events this is based on. Yesterday there was a huge debate in the 2nd chamber between all parties about the benefits affair. For the people who do not know what this is because you 1. Don't know much in politics or 2. because you are not from the Netherlands. Our tax authorities have accused many young families as fraudsters and are requesting huge amounts of money back from these families. The tax authorities assumed that these young families received injustice benefits. The cabinet found out about this too late (or already knew it but did nothing about it) this news has come out, the outgoing cabinet had resigned, but there is still a lot of debate about the responsibility of the previous cabinet, what has been done to compensate those families and what the consequences should be for the old cabinet and its ministers.

In addition, we have the issue of Pieter Omtzigt (member of parliament of the CDA who is in the coalition), after which it was revealed that the outgoing cabinet wanted to give him a different position outside the 2nd chamber because he would have been too critical at the coalition.

These 2 issues were discussed in a huge debate yesterday where all coalition parties and ministers had to account for themselves and answer questions from the opposition. In addition, motions were filed for which all fraction had to vote trough either there group chairman or even had to vote 1 by one . And this debate lasted from 11:30 am to about 3:00 am

Concepts

Cabinet: all ministers and state secretaries

outgoing cabinet: the cabinet that actually resigned but is still in power until the elections

coalition: the parties that together form the majority in the 2nd chamber and make the decisions

opposition: the parties in the 2nd chamber who form the minority and who must monitor the cabinet and be critical of the decisions taken

Plenary Hall: the main room where the debates take place at the house of representatives

the former Rutte 3 cabinet consisted of: VVD, CDA, D66 and ChristenUnie

( please correct me if I am wrong I did watch a massive chunk of the debate yesterday but havent seen it all, as well as I am still learning about the politics of my own country. Also please ignore any mistakes I dont have a beta reader and am dyslectic )

To say it was a long day was an understatement for both Rob and Jesse. They started they day off at 10:00 at the house of representatives. They had to prepare the last view things for a day filled with debating about the benefits affair. Rob having to defend his own fraction D66 who were part of Rutte 3 and Jesse being ready to hold everyone accountable and being critical of all of the ministers and coalition fractions.

To say that this whole benefits affair had put a toll on rob and Jesse their relationship was also an understatement with both man standing on the opposites of this debate. The tension in their shared home had been thick and both man hadnt spoken much in the weeks leading up to this debate.

Once the clock turned 11:30 both man headed to the Plenary Hall where the debates where taking place and live streamed for the whole of the Netherlands. 3 Hours into the debate was Rob his turn to speak for his fraction D66, to take responsibility and to defend their actions. Of course people where critical but he and this party had admitted that something had gone really wrong with the affair and that something had to be done. The rest of the debate that lasted until 01:50 had been quite uneventful for Rob, having had his turn to speak early on in the debate and also not having the need to interrupt he jus sat in the Plenary Hall making notes, on what was said and drinking plenty of coffee to make it through the rest of the day. For Jesse however it was a much more eventful debate making plenty of interruptions, asking critical questions and having a fierce debate with Mark Rutte who didnt want to admit that he or the VVD had done anything wrong, angering Jesse even more knowing that his boyfriend and his fraction where willing to admit their faults and taking the accountability but this man just stood there not admitting to anything and when the questions got to critical or too hard to answer he would basically said that he didnt have the information ready or just simply said that the questions should be asked to Wopke Hoestra minister of finances in the second therm.

After the debated that lasted longer than either man has wished for they moved on to the voting for the submitted motions of the opposition. The first couple of motion where just voted on by the fraction leaders in name of their whole fraction. After that there where still 5 motions left that had to be voted on by every single individual in the house of representatives after that both Jesse and Rob could finally leave for home, something their really needed. They where luckily both in the second group to vote.

When this was finally done they both packed up their briefcases and met outside of the house representatives. They walked to Jesse his car. Normally they would have taken the bike of public transport but they knew this debate would be lasting to late ( they didnt expect to leave the house of representatives at 3 am ) they decided to take the car. Their walk to the car was quite, both man being very happy that it was over and also very happy that the press wasnt there, that is something they have to deal with in a view hours when they would return.

Upon arriving at the car Jesse turn to Rob and took him into his arms. Jesse knew how hard it was for Rob ever since the benefits affair came to light. Jesse knowing that Rob hadnt known about it untill it was leaked and him having to deal with it and represent D66 because he was still the fraction leader at that time and Sigrid being the minister of international trades and development partnerships. Rob had taken the affair to heart and felt extremely responsible for what had happened. He had working so much overtime to make sure that all the families who where wronged where getting help and compensations many meetings with many people, working most days till the early hours in the morning, Jesse had found Rob multiple time passed out at his desk in their home office.

Rob retuned the hug and exhaled deeply. Letting all of the tension and stress go. He knew that his work wasnt done yet, he knew that there where still so many families who hadnt gotten their compensation yet, he knew that this wasnt the last debate that they had to hold about this all, he knew that a lot still needed to be done, but this massive debate was behind him now and he felts as if he could finally breath again. Jesse held into rob tightly and placed a kiss on Rob his forehead. "you did so well honey, I am extremely proud of you for standing there and taking accountability" Jesse spoke up. Rob humed and said "thank you, can we please go home, I am so tired". Jesse agreed and opened the door to the passenger seat for Rob and took the seat behind the wheel himself and driving the both of them home.

Once arriving home Jesse saw that Rob had fallen asleep. He chuckled and placed a kiss on Rob his cheek waking him up. Jesse ended up carrying Rob to their home and placed him down on their couch while he turned on the shower letting it come to temperature. He took Rob his hands and took him with him to the shower, both man stripped and got into the shower. Standing underneath the warm water letting their mussels relax. Rob hugged Jesse from behind and gave him a kiss on his shoulders. "you did well today as well, making Mark break a sweat, standing up for those families and asking the much needed critical questions that I couldnt ask myself" Rob mumbled into Jesse his neck. Jesse turned around and took Rob his face into his hands "thank you, thats my job as the leader of one of the opposition parties isnt it" Jesse said as he ducked down and captured Rob his lips with his own. The kiss was slow and sweet, both man knowing that they wouldnt take this much futher, to tired of the day. They stayed in the shower a bit longer, sharing sweet kisses and enjoying each others embrace.

They got out of the shower eventually drying themselves off and brushing their teeth. They made their way to their bedroom. They looked that their alarm clock that showed them that it was 03:30 already. They set their alarm for 08;30 and hopped into their bed. Jesse bringing Rob to his chest. Rob placed his head on Jesse his chest and Jesse rested his head on top of Rob is head. They stayed like that for a little while, just cuddling until eventually they said their I love yous and fell into an exhausted sleep knowing very well that they had to wake up in 4,5 hours to go back to the house of representatives, face the media and meeting with their own fractions to discuss about the debate and how to move forward.

well that was it for me. i hope i got everyting as right as possible, i had watched the debate myself yesterday but havent seen the full 14 hours of it so i might have missed someting. i hope you all have enjoyed this small fluff one shot. this is something i had been wanting to write and after the debate of yesterday i knew this was the perfect oppertunity.

please lemme know your thoughts and leave a like while you are at it.

loves of love your Dutchy who is getting obsessed with Dutch politics.