~𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙾𝚗𝚎~

-triggers- parental abuse/neglect, eating disorder behaviour and negative self image/body dysmorphia

       It was 1990, a cold and damp day, something far from uncommon in this little town in upper Maine, the name of the town was Madrid. The last public school here had closed nearly two decades ago. Anyone who was left here was self taught or went to old lady Kathrain a rather southern woman, who in her own words, 'Got trapped in the graveyard of a little town', kids would go to her for daycare or help with reading. And well in the case of Miss Charlotte, a young girl maybe only 16 or so now, it greatly impacted her own accent and way of speaking. Having spent so many years around the generous lady she picked up more than a few idioms..

   The town was one of those textbook examples of a  everyone knows everyone cliches but in its defense , the state it rested in actually had more moose than people, and Anyone there could have told you that.. It wasn't the fault of the little town for its declining population; it was a kind place overall, and many of its people radiated that kindness full fold. But each town, each house, and each person had their own secrets...

    As the sun seemed to cast its dime light into the room a thin beam of unwanted sun light went across the pale girl's face, she groaned and nestled back into the cotton pillow enjoying it. With the rain it wasn't very bright but lit up the room a good bit. But the baby laying next to her not being able to so easily ignore the sun that filled the room, as relaxing as it's blue hue may have been let out a small whine. But expectedly it quickly turned to crying as he tried to use his little hands to escape the tight swaddle from the night before, and failed to free himself his crying became a far more annoying screaming.

"Hmm it's too early please Jackson just sleep. I'll unwrap you soon I promise, just hush...." The girl in the bed pleads as she turns away from the crib beside her, pulling the sheets over her ears tightly desperate to drown out the sound of her brother's persistent screams.

    She had barely slept that night, she never slept when her parents were home. It was far too hard when every five seconds she was called out to refill a drink or make them their late night snacks.. None of which she was ever permitted to have herself. It was a rare occurrence to have them home all night, only because often They stayed with friends or other belated family members since the drive home was a long one and saving money was always a must in the Gildered family. But every time they did they would never get up from their seats not even once, It was always charlotte  this and charlotte  that, never a second of peace...

      But thoughts of the night before were quickly drowned out as the babies crying turned to coughing, the sound of the small boy struggling to breathe made the girl shoot up and look over. She had worried he may have been choking on his spit or maybe he had thrown up and couldn't turn over. But the panic fades as she realized the boy had just been crying too hard and made himself cough from it. So reluctantly as she may she unwrapped the baby who waisted not a moment to stretch out his small thin arms. Without the blanket it was clear the poor child was malnourished and most likely haven't had enough to eat in quite some time, as she held his small hand letting her finger brush against the soft skin on the back of his fingers she couldn't help but feel bad for him. True she tried her hardest to give him anything she could scrape up it was hard when he could only Really eat one thing...

   " look here jacky i'll get you some good milk today, I hear Maddie's done started making milk even though her babies do next week maybe ill be able to get some if i clean up her house how does that sound?" She asked the baby knowing he wouldn't respond but he laughed and squished her fingers tightly, charlotte smiled glad the baby seemed happy.

   " You think ma and pa are sleepin still? Maybe we're extra lucky and they done already left?" The girl muttered, her grammar and talking was rather atrocious to anyone who had spent more than a month in any form of school.