iii

I ran as fast as I could. The barking of the hounds only grew louder by the second. I looked behind me, the men were still there. My eyes stung and I know its because I've been holding back tears. But crying will only blur my vision. And I don't want that.

I don't know where these men came from, I don't know who they are. All I know is that I have to get away from them, I have to lead them away from Ashley and her family.

I ran out of breath. Luck is useless if you run out of breath. I have nowhere to hide, in this vast desert, there's nothing I can use as a hiding spot. I fell to my knees, panting. My breath formed puffs of mist in front of me. The gloomy weather only added to the melancholic environment. I can feel my heart beating. For some reason, even in this dire situation, the beating remained calm.

The men eventually caught up. One of them kicked me to the ground. Mouthfuls of frozen water and snow entered my mouth and nose. My head pounded and I tried to get up, but whoever held me down, held me down tight. My lungs hurt. I can't breathe.

"Get her face out of the snow," a woman ordered.

Ashley? No, this one's too bold and strong to be Ashley.

The man holding me down did as I was told. Someone yanked me up but kept me in a kneeling position. I coughed out the snow I swallowed and blinked. Some of the snow got into my eyes.

'My eyes, I can't see.'

"So you're the lucky charm," the woman spoke. I heard the sound of a gun clicking. "Let's see if your luck can help you now," she hissed. I closed my eyes and waited.

I don't know who these people are, I don't know why they're here. But now I know that they want me dead.