Chapter 21: The boy from the sand

Hours passed but I couldn't wake up from the shock caused by meeting Pain

All his talk about me and experiencing great pain... I didn't know what he really meant.
I didn't understand how it would change anything.

Anyway, he got me a special mission which was rather unexpected and I didn't really see the logic in that. Pain separated me from Kisame and Itachi in order to help two other Akatsuki members: Deidara and Sasori.

It made sense in some way, as he expected me to get close to the Kazekage and use my eyes on him - but in that case he could have sent our team to this mission. There wasn't any need to send me to a different team.

And I wasn't even close to them, I had to travel three days straight to the meeting point.
I never met them so I wondered what they were like.

"You're late. I hate waiting" said one of them. He looked like a giant bug, with an old man's face.

"Master Sasori, don't be so strict. We only arrived five minutes ago" the blonde, blue-eyed guy smiled at me.

"Hello, you must be Amane. I am Deidara" he came closer and wrapped his arm around me. "I would be happy if you could share Uchiha Itachi's weakness with me" he winked at me. He probably knew I wouldn't give a real answer.

"Well... if he doesn't eat dango at least three times a week he gets so weak even a newborn baby could defeat him" I said.

Deidara laughed.

"You're a funny one, aren't you?"

He let go from me.

"Let's go" said Deidara. "The one-tailed won't catch itself"

I didn't really take part in their conversation on the way. They were debating about art, I didn't really know about this topic.

We were close to Sunagakure. That was when I had to continue my journey alone. I dressed up as a merchant and got some beautiful and rare flowers with me that Deidara gave me. The goal was to offer these flowers to the Kazekage meanwhile I look into his eyes.

I activated Golden Eyes when I reached the village. I thought it was less conspicuous to have special eyes than switching it in front of the target.

I went through the village, to the Kazekage's mansion. I had a fake certificate that I was a merchant and the shinobis let me pass easily.
A kind, young shinobi led me to the roof to the Kazekage. I felt really bad as I knew what would happen soon.

A young boy stood there, staring at the horizon, talking to a beautiful, blonde girl. The Kazekage turned around. I tried to hide my surprise. I heard he was young but I didn't expect him to be that young. He was even younger than me. He had flaming red hair and blue eyes with dark circles around them like he never had a good sleep in his entire life.

"Gaara, she's the merchant I informed you about. She wants to offer something to you" the girl said. We introduced each other, the girl's name was Temari and the Kazekage's name was Gaara.

"And what is that offering?" the Kazekage asked.

"I found these rare flowers in the wild" I said and showed them to him. "I want you to accept them from me as a sign of my respect"

He came closer and took the flowers.

"I don't know much about these things" he said. "But your intention seems to be pure and I accept it"

I looked up on him. That was my chance.

I saw a boy, smaller than anyone.

I saw that boy never had a feeling of comfort.

I saw him being rejected by his father and separated from his siblings.

I saw everyone avoiding him and being scared of him.

I saw a kind uncle, who tried to kill him by order.

I saw him finding a life purpose in strength and killing.

I saw him fighting that blonde boy from Konoha.

I saw him wanting to change because of that boy.

I was sad. His story was so sad. I gave him the flowers then I left the mansion. I felt terribly guilty for betraying him. He didn't deserve to die.

Suddenly I started to question everything.

That boy's life was terrible enough. Is it really okay to take his life when he is about to make improvement as a person and ready to help others?

I knew I had no way out. I just wanted to get back to Itachi as soon as possible.

But I had to meet Deidara and Sasori first.

"So..." started Sasori. "What are his weak points?"

I sighed. I couldn't avoid what would happen anyway.

"His sand protects him all the time" I said. "But he would do anything to protect his village. And it makes his defense weaker. That's all"

They had some other questions. I answered them like a well-programmed machine.

I wanted to go. I wanted to see Itachi and hug him tight.

I started to lose my faith.

I started to realize how bad was the side I was on.

"Thank you for your service" said Sasori. I thought it was time for me to leave. I wanted to leave that desert. But the scorpion tail coming out of Sasori wasn't really calming. "Sorry, Amane" he said. "Nothing personal"

I instantly felt the pain when he stabbed me with that tail.

It's poisoned. It's fucking poisoned. Why do I always get stabbed with poisoned stuffs?

My wound wasn't deep. It didn't have to be.

I saw them leaving. A familiar feeling filled my body.

Fire in my veins.

I didn't understand why it happened.
My only bet was that after all, Pain never trusted me. And he tried to erase me. That's why his words didn't make sense to me. They were lies.

But he was right in something. I experienced great pain. Physically.

I didn't mind dying.

But I hated the fact that I didn't have the opportunity to say goodbye to Kisame and Itachi.

I closed my eyes. I had a familiar feeling of arriving to someplace soft and warm.
But the voices didn't leave me alone, just like last time. Can I just die in peace finally? Without voices talking to me?

My, my... what a waste.

I heard a deep voice I never heard before.

What do you want to do with her? She's not that useful.

Zetsu. The second voice belonged to Zetsu.

I have my reasons. Take this girl back to her lover. She will own me and I might have a great offering to her in the future she won't refuse.