𝟬𝟬𝟭. CUTE MESS, 𝗃𝗈𝖾𝗅

𝐂𝐔𝐓𝐄 𝐌𝐄𝐒𝐒, 𝗃𝗈𝖾𝗅

𝐂𝐔𝐓𝐄 𝐌𝐄𝐒𝐒, 𝗃𝗈𝖾𝗅

Joel wouldn't consider himself panicky, per se

Joel wouldn't consider himself panicky, per se. Now, bravely and reasonably cautious? He felt that was a better, more appropriate description.

But as he scrambled through the bunker with his forehead glistening with perspiration and an armful of miscellaneous knickknacks, he couldn't deny it anymore.

Joel was panicking. Hard.

You and Joel have been together for a little over 6 months now and couldn't be any happier. He actually confessed to you while he was milking Gertie, the cow—it was incredibly charming. The guy was absolutely head-over-heels for you and it was painfully obvious.

So when you absentmindedly mentioned that you'd never been on a proper date, he decided he would set one up for you right in the bunker. Of course, he felt surprises were way more romantic, so he planned to begin when you left with the hunting party.

How hard could it be?

He moved speedily in and out of rooms, occasionally tripping over his own feet. One second he was adding chopped vegetables to the minestrone and the next he was decorating a section of the dining table. It was definitely a month's worth of exercise and that's all Joel really needed.

He took a step back from the table after adjusting everything for the nth time and proudly admired his work. He used one of the baby's old blue-patterned blankets for a mini table-cloth and placed a lantern beside it for mood lighting. One of Kala's "antique" snow-globes stood as the centerpiece and was surrounded by small action figures and army men. As a final fancy touch, he folded a piece of paper and wrote your name on it next to a rough sketch of you smiling. He placed it where you would be sitting and made one for his own side.

It was just missing one thing—flowers.

"What on earth are you doing, Joel?" Ray questioned from the doorway, his arms crossed over his chest in amusement.

"Oh! Well, I set up a date night for Y/n. It's just...we don't have a bouquet of roses just lying around anywhere, do we?"

Ray hummed in false thought before dodging out of the room and coming back with a handful of, what seemed to be, coriander stalks. He shoved them into Joel's hands, earning a blank stare and a quizzical tilt of his head.