Part 2: The Heist/McCree

After throwing out a few more grenades and firing off some more rounds, the remainder of Ashe's gang had fled the scene. McCree climbed out from behind the rock he'd been using as a barrier and smiled to himself. "I've still got it."he thought whirling his revolver on one finger before shoving it back in its holster.

After taking one last pull on his cigar, he threw it to the ground and crushed it beneath his leather boot. Jesse knew he wouldn't have too long before Ashe regained consciousness. If he left her as she was, she would come after him, and keep on fighting until one of them was dead. There was only one real solution to be had:tie her up and get outta here real fast. So McCree began to make his way through the wreckage to where her prone form was lying.

As he got closer he could see that 20 years had done little to change her appearance. She was still as pretty as the day he'd first laid eyes on her. She was older, and her stunning white hair was a slightly different style, but she still wore a Deadlock vest and that outrageous red lipstick.

The last time he'd seen her they'd been running from the cops. Ashe had managed to get away, while the cops tackled McCree to the ground. As they dragged him away in handcuffs, he'd noticed her peeping out from behind a bush, her face pinched with worry. Later in police custody Jesse had used his only phone call to contact her. There had been nothing Ashe could do, being a wanted fugitive herself. But he used the call to tell her everything would be fine, and that he would write to her every week. Little did he know that a man named Gabriel Reyes would intervene in his case, and recruit him into a secret agency. When that happened Mcree thought he'd never see her again.

Yet here he was standing just a foot away from Ashe. He noticed then that there was a little blood trickling down from the back of her head. It stood out on her snowy white hair. Apart from the blood she looked peaceful, almost as if she were in a childlike slumber.

Jesse bent down and gathered her in his arms. Then he carried her to the cart she had been standing on. Gently he laid her down, and began to probe her scalp with his calloused fingers. Once he found where the blood was coming from, he pressed a handkerchief to the gash. When the bleeding subsided, McCree released his hold on her head. He, then produced a length of rope, and bound her hands together the way he had done with Ashe to many of their victims.
Before turning his attention to finding Bob, he caressed Ashe's cheek in one of his large hands for just moment. "Oh, Ashe."he murmured.

Then he let his hand drop to his side like a weight, and began to search through the rubble for Bob. There seemed to be pieces of the Butler everywhere, as he had taken most of the damage from the blast in an effort to protect Ashe. Bob definitely had dedication, if nothing else. Finally Jesse spotted what he was looking for:Bob's head. The butler's head seemed to be functioning fine as his eyes swiveled to face McCree. "Heya, Bob. Long time no see."greeted McCree. The robot stayed quiet. "Typical."thought McCree. "Well, I'll just put you with Ashe then. That's probably what you want, right?"he said. Still no reply. Shrugging Jesse scooped up Bob's Head, and stalked over to the cart.

Just then Ashe sat up groggily. She tried to raise her hands to rub her eyes, but quickly found that she couldn't. Confused she muttered, "What the...?" Stopping mid sentence her eyes flared with sudden clarity. "McCree!"Ashe yelled. "Uh oh."thought Jesse. That was definitely his cue to get Ashe out of here.

Quickly McCree set Bob's Head on the cart. "Well, sorry about this, Bob. No hard feelings?"he asked. Bob made no attempt to reply.

Rolling his eyes, he turned to Ashe who bellowed, "McCree! Hey, untie me McCree!" Ignoring her, Jesse activated the cart, and plugged in the coordinates for the Deadlock Headquarters.

Then he gave her his best smile, winked, and replied, "Say hi to the gang for me." With that he hit the start button, and the cart began to drive away.

As it got further and further McCree could here Ashe shrieking in the distance, "I am talking to you! I will not be ignored! I'm gonna rebuild B.o.b, and have him rip off your other arm, McCree!" He chuckled to himself. She always had been a tad melodramatic. Then he made his way to the crate to focus on his primary reason for coming to Ashe's heist.

After flipping the lid open, McCree inserted a chip into the omnic pieces. Within seconds a blue holographic face appeared on the omnic's head. The face smiled and said in a female voice, "Hey there, cowboy."

Smiling back at his old friend, McCree took off his hat. "Welcome back, partner."he replied while helping Echo out of the crate. She looked around as if unsure of her surroundings.
"How long have I been gone?"Echo asked.

In answer Jesse simply said, "Far too long."

Then she must have noticed his missing arm, for she queried, "What happened?" McCree laughed at this. It was so like Echo to be concerned about his well-being.

"Well, thats a story for another time."he began, "I got a call. They're getting the band back together. They want me, but really they need you."

Echo gave him a concerned look, and said tentatively, "Jesse,what are you going to do?"
Her tone made him want to tell her not to worry, but he knew if he did she would only worry more.

Instead he brushed her off, stating, "I got some business to attend to." Then he turned, and climbed onto Ashe's red hover bike which he had spotted earlier. With a final salute he said "Say hi to the monkey for me."

Looking puzzled Echo repeated, "Monkey?"

Jesse shrugged at her. "Scientist, whatever."he called out as he started the bike. Then he sped off leaving Echo behind in the wreckage of Ashe's failed heist.