Chapter 3

Chapter Three

Tiffany woke up the morning after her flight from the hospital in the most sumptuous bed she had ever been in. For a moment she felt a stab of fear--the ever-present fear of her husband finding her--but as she took in the surroundings, fear was replaced with surprise and delight. The bed was comfortable; it was huge, with the softest sheets and a thick, well-made comforter covering her. She reviewed the night, trying to remember everything.

Tiffany remembered the handsome, strong man who had carried her into the house, who had spoken to her--easing her apprehension and telling her that she could stay as long as she wanted. She had been in so much pain, had been so delirious that she hadn't had time to take everything in. Vaguely she remembered slipping into a bathtub that the man had filled with deliciously hot water, full of some fragrance she couldn't identify, but which had soothed her frazzled nerves, done something to mediate the pain she was feeling. There had been a cup of tea, a few pills, and she had been wrapped in a thick, plush robe--one she was still wearing when she awakened--and tucked into the bed she had found herself in.

The room was no less impressive than the bed. Tiffany sat up carefully, wincing at the echo of pain in her ribs. She would have to be careful, she reminded herself; it wasn't the first time she'd had her ribs injured at Ralph's hands. The floor directly underneath the bed was covered with a thick, ornate rug--but beyond that, Tiffany caught a glimpse of hardwood flooring. There was a big, antique chest of drawers, a comfortable chair, creamy pale blue walls with a few pieces of art on them. It was a big room, but somehow everything in it gave the impression of coziness. She smiled to herself when she caught sight of a fresh bouquet of flowers on a low bedside table.

Swinging her legs carefully over the edge of the bed, Tiffany cautiously stood and picked up a folded card next to the vase. I hope the morning finds you well. I have a full staff here; I apologize that I will probably not be available to greet you when you wake in the morning, but everything is at your disposal. You have only to ask--everyone working here has been instructed to fulfill your smallest whim.

As if on cue, there was a soft knock at the door, and Tiffany started--until she told herself firmly that it wasn't as though Ralph would knock, if he had somehow made his way onto the property, into the house. "Come in," she said, sitting back down on the bed, smiling at the card still in her hands. It was difficult to believe that any man could have an uninterested reason to put her up--to tell her that she could stay as long as she wanted. Something he said the night before flashed through her mind; "I know what it's like to be in fear for your life." If he did, that might explain it.

A woman came in, giving Tiffany a polite smile as she entered. "Ms. Lofton, my name is Angelica--I'm Mr. Lawrence's head housekeeper." She approached slowly. "I thought you might have slept yourself out by now and might be hungry. Mr. Lawrence said you were to have anything at all you'd like to eat." Tiffany was briefly overwhelmed; the house was so luxurious--she knew that she couldn't possibly be in the best of the rooms, and the bedroom she was in was nicer than even the best hotels she had stayed at.

"I'm afraid I'm not really sure what's available," Tiffany said, hedging. She was hungry--and she knew she needed to take her pain medication with food.

"There's anything you could want." Angelica paused and smiled. "Which is probably a bit overwhelming. If there's something in particular you like having for breakfast, we can make it for you. If you have no idea--I can make a few suggestions, based on what I know the chef makes the best." Tiffany caught a little twinkle in the older woman's eye; it suggested that Angelica knew--very well--what the chef was capable of.

"I think I'd like... Eggs benedict. With a side of hash browns. And some very good, very fresh coffee." Angelica nodded approval.

"Do you need any help getting to the bathroom? I understand you're quite severely injured." Tiffany could hear the faint accent lingering in the woman's voice--she thought it might be British--the more Angelica spoke.