one

"Happy birthday to you" they all sang. It was my 14th birthday and my whole family was over. My mom brought out a vanilla cake with pink and blue frosting. "Happy 14th birthday Maggie!" it read in white frosting.

My mom walked back into to kitchen and came back with cupcakes. There were 8 different kinds, each representing one of Taylor Swifts albums. "Do you want cake or cupcakes?" my mom asked me. "I'll have cake please."

My mom grabbed a knife and a paper plate and cut me a piece of cake. I walked over to her and started to grab the plate when my grandpa touched my shoulder. "Are you really going to eat that much?" he said. "You don't look like you need that much considering your size."

I tried my best to ignore him and walk over to the couch. As soon as I started to eat he walked over to me again. "Here let me do you a favor." he said while grabbing the cake out of my hand.

"Why do you have her piece?" my mom asked him. "Oh, she said she wasn't hungry anymore." he lied. I was hungry, I was actually really hungry. I wanted to stand up for myself but I couldn't.

I got up and went back to the kitchen to tell everyone I needed to do something. I walked back to my room and sat on my bed and started crying. "Was I really that fat?" I asked myself.

After a few minutes of crying I went to my closet to pick something new to wear. I picked out something baggy so I could hide my stomach. I also changed into some jeans that weren't tight on me.

After changing, I went to my bathroom to touch up my makeup, since it was messy from crying. I grabbed my mascara and looked in the mirror. I knew this was a bad idea but I did it anyway.

After fixing my makeup and making myself feel worse I went back downstairs. Everyone was getting ready to leave so I pretended I was happy and said my goodbyes to them. "Again, happy birthday Maggie!" my aunt told me. "Thank you!" I said faking a smile.

After everyone left my mom told me she was going to work since she took the first half of the day off. Normally, I would be with my older sister, but she was gone doing stuff around town.

My mom walked out the door and I waited a few minutes and then ran to her bathroom. There it was, her scale. She had it in the bathroom she puts random junk in, so she'd never know I took it.

I ran back upstairs and to my room with the scale in my arms as fast as I could. I went straight to my bathroom and set the scale down. I was scared, scared to step on the scale and see how much I actually weigh.

I slowly took my clothes off, and was left in just underwear and a bra, incase someone managed to get in. I turned the scale on and stepped on it. "145" it read. I immediately broke down crying. I couldn't believe it, he was right, I am fat.