Chapter 3

Chapter 3:

“I can’t really believe this is a real thing,” I started a conversation up again; “I mean this whole ‘spy camp’.  I don’t know if I’ll be able to do this.”  Justin admits.  “Sure you will,” I begin reassuringly, “what are you worrying about?” I ask him curious as to why he would doubt himself. 

 “well, I just don’t know if im going to be good at this.  I’ve heard that some people get to go on practice missions.  Although, considering the fact that they were supposed to be spies, and they let that secret out, they weren’t the best.” He chuckled.  I laughed a little bit as we continued are fast-walking/jogging pace.  “Well we have our first training Monday so we’ll see then,” I tell him.  “Yeah, I guess so.  I wonder what it’s going to be like.  Do you think it’s going to be like learning combat or stuff or more how to be secretive?”  He asks me, his mind wondering with questions as mine fills with one.  Should I tell him that I’m the daughter of the owners?”

 I don’t think that that is the best idea right now.  “I think it’s going to be a mixture of both,” I responded only half listening to the conversation and the other half was bombarded with my tidal wave of thoughts.  He silently nodded and then I remembered something, “I saw a map up there right before the end of the cabins and the beginning of the lake, and it showed a combat training building and a weapon range, I explained to him.  “That’s interesting.  So, we’re definitely going to be having some physical training,” he replied as we neared the end of the trail.

 "I guess this isn’t a ‘trail-trail’” I said once we reached the end of the path.  He looked at me confused and then I realized I wasn’t quite making sense.  The thing with Justin is that I’ve known him for a long time and I feel like I can say anything.  There isn’t really a filter between my thoughts, and the words that come out of my mouth.  Sometimes what I say is to what I like to call “verbal vomit.” 

“I mean like most trails would ‘loop’ around so we wouldn’t have to turn around and go back the same way we came.”  He nodded, comprehending what I said.  He smiled a little, “we could just make our one trail.”  I thought about it, “You sure?  What if we get lost?”  “You worry wayyyy too much Alex,” he smirked.  I retorted with, “I do not.”  I sounded a bit like a whiney two year old but ‘Oh Well!’  “Fine we’ll go.  Hopefully we won’t die,” I dramatized with a small smile and Justin just chuckled in response.

I thought he would just start walking, but he just looked at me as if he wanted to say something and just didn’t know how to put it into words.  “What?  Why are you looking at me like that,” I didn’t understand.  He smiled and finial said,

“There are dreamers and there are realists in this world, you think the dreamers would find the dreamers and the realists would find the realists, but more often than not, the opposite is true.  The dreamers need the realists to keep the dreamers from soaring too close to the sun.  Without the dreamers, they might not ever get off the ground,” he quoted perfectly.  “I guess that’s why we’re best friends.”

I chuckled in awe, “no way did you just go all fortune cookie-crap on me???”  I giggled in awe, “and you quoted the world’s second best show!”  “Fortune cookie-crap?” he repeated.  “You know all deep with life lessons,” I explained to Justin as he understood my weird terminology.  “And second best show?  Modern Family is definitely the best show ever,” I looked at him for a second and said, “Nope, The Big Bang Theory is better.  Don’t get me wrong I like MOFY but sometimes it gets annoyingly predicable.  There is so many times where you can obviously see what’s going to happen next,” I counter.  “That’s just the thing; you’re not supposed to analyze those things.  C’mon ms. realist, dream a little,” he said with a cheeky smile.  “That’s your job.”  He opened his mouth to say something but closed it.  After a second, he said, “Okay.”