Chapter 5

Annie's Point of View

"Good work today, Annie! I reeeeaaallyyyyy can't get enough of your voice!" Hitch said as she was putting on her casual top. I shook my head and smiled awkwardly as I finished buttoning up my school uniform. It was already midnight and our shift has ended.

"Thank you, Hitch. I have to go now." I said and smiled at her before walking out of the dressing room and into the exit.

I've been getting compliments from the customers but I could care less about it. As long as I didn't mess up and made a fool out of myself, then I'm glad.

As I opened the door of the exit, I saw a person leaning against the side. I locked eyes with him and saw the same gaze I saw a while ago.

"Annie..." He muttered my name.

"Armin?"

"Can we talk?"

"When did you..." He stopped speaking but I know what he wanted to ask. We were in a playground under the moonlight, sitting down the children's swing.

"Since I started working there." I answered. He looked at me with a face neither disappointed nor happy.

"Is that why you befriended me?" He said and I'm sure it wasn't a happy tone.

I don't know about him but yes, one reason why I befriended him was because he was great at performing but that wasn't all of it. Even if I didn't know about him being a great vocalist, even if people say he was a nerd so I should stay away from him, even if I would get targetted by bullies, I would still befriend him.

"I thought you were different..." He mumbled. I heard him sigh before standing up and looking at me with a blank face, eyes doesn't have any shine to it. Him assuming these things made me feel something uncomfortable within me.

"I thought you weren't judgemental, Armin. Never had I befriended someone just for their reputation and background. If you think I befriended you just because of your band then you're wrong. I wouldn't mind you being a nerd or a great vocalist. I'd still befriend you anyway..." I spoke calmly.

I was the same. I got bullied before and I know how it feels. To have trust issues with people who's nice to you. I really don't care much about a person's background or looks. I just want to have someone who'll be there for me, even if it isn't always.

Building up all that trust on one person just to see it crumble down within a second is already too much to take in.

He grew silent and I could see him grip the swing tighter. We talked yesterday and the atmosphere was quite different. He was soft and delicate, looking fresh and calm. Right now, he looked like he had a lot on his mind.

My gaze fell down on his hands. He was wearing a hoodie but I managed to take a peak at a bruise. I hate nosy people the most but I become one when I see people getting hurt.

"What happened? Why were you late?" I asked him directly. He looked at me first before looking away, focusing on his shoes as he looked down.

"Traffic." He mumbled. He's really not that great at lying.

I stood up as his gaze followed me. I crouched down and held his hand before pulling his sleeves up. There I saw bruises and wounds.

"Armin wh--" He suddenly slapped my hand away and stood up.

"Annie, I hate how you're acting too close. Don't pretend to care when we've just recently became friends." He said before walking away and leaving me alone.

I sighed as I stared at his figure. He was walking away until I couldn't see him in my field of vision anymore.

"Why do people always get the wrong impression?" I shook my head and stood up to go home.

As I entered our home, a familiar person appeared. He was sitting at the sofa with a book on his hand.

"Bertholdt..." He stood up and smiled before giving me a hug.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him. It was already past midnight.

"Just dropped off some groceries." He answered and made me sit down. He was still wearing his work attire and he looked worn out but still, he waited for me.

"How many times did I tell you that you don't need to do this? I can handle this, Bertholdt."

"I just want to, Annie." He said and smiled at me brightly before patting my back.

"I don't want to feel indebted, Bertholdt." I felt him move away and saw how his smile faded before he spoke.

"I'm not doing this to make you repay me. This isn't an investment, Annie. I just want to help you out. I don't mind."

Bertholdt was an old friend of mine. I met him when I moved to my former home. He was crying back then because bullies would often take his candies until I saved him and told them to not bother him anymore. Since then he would always follow me around.

He's a manager of his parents' company. He could easily become the CEO but he chose to take fair steps. One thing I admire about him.

"Still. Weekly is a little too much, don't you think so?" I said and pointed at all the grocery bags in our kitchen.

"That's little for me." He chuckled before standing up and fixing his tie. "Sadly, I have to go home now."

"You drived here alone again right? You can stay for the night. It's getting late as well." I offered which he just replied to with a smile.

He pulled me in closer and wrapped his hands around my waist before kissing my forehead.

"B-Bertholdt..."

"I'm afraid I can't do that, Annie." He whispered in my ear before pulling away and messed with my hair.

"I don't want to be a nuisance to you especially if tomorrow's a Saturday. Well then, I'll go home now. I'll meet you again next time."

"Be safe on your way home."

"I will...Good night, Annie." He said and left. I sighed and closed the door before heading to the kitchen to arrange the groceries.

As I was putting them in place, Falco went up to me, rubbing his eyes as he yawned.

"Have you eaten sis? I spared some food for you." He was still sleepy but he grabbed me my plate and placed food on it.

"Thank you, Falco. You should go to sleep right now." I ruffled his hair as he kept on yawning.

As I finished eating, I took a shower and changed to a sleep wear before going to bed. I couldn't sleep yet because my conversation with Armin kept on replaying in my mind.

I still don't know the reason why he was late a while ago. He isn't the type to be tardy especially in things that he's passionate about. Did he get bullied on his way? Why was he hurt? I only talked to him twice. Not even twice. Once. One for the school him and one for the bar him. Two different personalities and I couldn't seem to grasp which is his real one.

Why am I so invested in getting to know him anyway? I left a bad impression on him. I was becoming a little bit too close. He was right.

I fucked up...Didn't I?

I sighed and grabbed my phone before putting on my earphones and shuffled my playlist. It was full of the Warheads' song. No slash that. ALL of it. Every single one of it is a song from the Warheads. I couldn't seem to get enough of it.

I closed my eyes and immersed myself in their music as if it was a comfort song for me. I don't want him to stop making music. I want him to become more comfortable in himself.

I sighed and tried to picture both of him in my mind. It was like a thousand pieced puzzle. I wanted to know him better but I just pushed him farther away.

Armin Arlert...Who's the real you?