Chapter Ten

(Author's Note: because most of y'all have either read tmr books or have seen the movies, imma skip the rest of the tour.)

Time skip: Brought to you by MAMA Newt 💚🦎

"Each day you'll train to do a different job. After you've done each job, we pick which one your best at and that'll be your new job in the glade. And no, you don't get to pick your job," Newt says tiredly as if he's said that a million times.

"Today, you'll be training to be a trackhoe," Newt said with a smile. "I'm a trackhoe but I'm not the one in charge of training you today, however I will be with you when you are," he says smiling even more. I give him a friendly smile as we walk towards a large field of gardens.

Once we reach the field, a tall blond haired boy approaches us. "I'm Zart," he says reaching out a hand. "You must be Eve. Today I'll be the one training you to be a trackhoe." I shake his hand and follow him as he walkes into the gardens. Newt follows close behind.

"I'll be over there working on the corn," Newt says as he points to a section of crops across the garden. I nod and he leaves.

Zart bends down and begins to speak. He starts telling me about how to approach digging up a crop so that it is still able to grow back. I continuously nod, though I wasn't really listening too much. It's just gardening after all, how hard could it be?

Once Zart finished speaking he walks a few yard away, tending to the crops as he motions for me to do the same. I grab a small metal shovel and begin to dig up what looked to be potatoes.

Very soon, my wrist was beginning to hurt. I guess gardening might be harder than I thought. I continued with the shovel when I felt a pair of arms wrap around my hands from either sides of me. It was Zart.

"Here," he says repositioning my hands and the shovel so my wrists would stop hurting so much. "Isn't that better?" he asks with a slight smirk on his face. I nod and thank him as he goes back to doing his work. Just then, I saw Newt beginning to approach with a jelous look on his face.

"What?" I ask, referring to his expression. He looked at me hard as if thinking for the correct response.

"He's flirting with you," Newt said with a chuckle. I laughed at this.

"No he wasn't. He was just helping me," I say, going back to work. Newt raises an eyebrow as he sits down next to me.

"You're so oblivious, Eve," Newt says with a smile. I look back to Newt, a bit annoyed.

"So what if he was flirting with me," I start, "why do you care?" I could see Newt's eyes shifting to the ground as he let out a sigh.

"It's time for lunch. Come on," Newt said, ignoring my question. He stood up and reached out a hand, I grabbed it as he helped me up.

Feeling the awkward tension between us, Newt and I grabbed our food and sat at different tables.

I began eating as Zart came to my table. Seing that I was alone, he sat down across from me and began eating.

"You did good today," he says looking back up at me.

"Thanks," I said rather ubruptly, continuing to eat.

"So uhh, I was erm-meaning to ask you something," Zart says staring into my eyes. I gave him a 'go on' look as he began to speaking once more.

"I know we only just met but," he pauses. I knew where this was going. "I feel this kind of connection between us and I was wondering if maybe you'd want to-" Zart was cut off by Ben taking a seat next to me and Zart. Zart shifts back in his seat awkwardly as Ben begins to speak. I was so thankful that Ben saw my uncomfortableness and came over.

"So, how's your first day of training going, Eve," Ben asked, trying to ease the tension in the air.

"Good. Gardening isn't as hard as I thought it would be, and I'm starting to make some friends in the glade," I said looking over at Zart. I tried my best to emphasize to word friends so that he would get the hint that him and I were nothing more than that. Ben nodded and from then on we ate in silence.

"I'm gonna go take a walk," I said heading for the deadheads. I had yet to have any time to myself since I'd been in the glade and I needed to get some air.

The trees where big and their leaves covered most of the sky above, leaving only small beams of light that fought threw them. It was quiet out here. Peaceful.

I leaned my back against a large tree, letting out a tired sigh. Then, I heard a noise. It sounded like a stick breaking from under someone's foot. I decided that I was just hearing things and went back to admiring the trees before me. That when I heard it again. A bit startled, I stood up.

I then saw a boy begin walking towards me. Oh, it's just another glader coming to say hello. "Oh, hey," I said, leaning back against the tree. The boy stopped walking as he was only feet away from me now.

"Hello, beautiful," he says with a rather creepy smirk on his face. I quickly noticed his tone and straighten my back. "Finally I have you alone. I've been trying to talk to you all day but the other gladers keep beating me to it. But now," he pauses, tucking a peice of my hair behind my ear, "I have you all to myself."

I quickly took a few steps back, scared. I've been here what, two days and this shank is hitting on me? I looked at him, my face in disgust.